Sak Yant Tattoo

youngfarang

I am visiting Thailand in a few months and was planning on getting a sak yant tattoo.

http://www.sak-yant.com/himapantanimals/hanuman-songrith.jpg

This was the one I want to get. I have looked all over to find out what the script says around Hanuman but have had no luck. I was wondering if anyone knew what it says. If youre against tattoos and are here to just bash them then don't bother to reply. Im not interested in reading that its going to hurt really bad and it's going to be on my body forever so dont waste your time. Any info regarding the script it says around it would be VERY helpful and much appreciated. After all I would like to know what it says before I put it on my body.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I believe the language is Sanskrit, so no idea what it says. Limbo is right about the protection though. These traditional tattoos were (are) not done for decoration, but for protection or to instill good luck/power/happiness/whatever in the person being tattooed.

Are you gonna get this done in the traditional way?

Sanuk!

The language is in Pali...or so I believe. I went to a Wat out in Nakon Phathom and watched them give them in the traditional way. Many times, it takes a period of time to have the whole thing done.

Usually, there are "rules" to follow if the "magic/power" is to work. Depending on the design and intention of the Tattoo (protective, or offensive) you may be limited to what part of the body it can be applied to. I believe protective goes above the waste, offensive below...might have that a bit wrong.

As for what it says...good luck. I suggest you get a very good clear picture of it, then find an old monk who knows that script, and is maybe familiar with the amulets and protective tatoos. There is one I think at the temple in Freemont California, I can ask when I see him in a few weeks. You could also maybe email around to different temples and or Universities and ask.

Here are some pictures I took at the temple...

ab9ae6b3.jpg

986c4105.jpg

c23de2f7.jpg

4e4cd5fd.jpg

DSC_006266D.jpg

37fed627.jpg

DSC_005357D.jpg

DSC_004650D.jpg

DSC_004549D.jpg

DSC_004751D.jpg

I was going to get one, but pussied out. I may yet. If the traditional method scares you, I know a guy who had one done on Khao Sarn Road, cost was 5000bht. The monks work cheap...for cigarettes and small donations.

As I posted, that is the tradition and culture of those who wear them. give you the rules first. He may tell you to return before he starts work, after you have followed the rules for a period of time. The Monk may then start work, give you more rules and have you come back again. Some of those tattos may take several sessions to finish. Each session adding a new protection. Whether I/we believe it or not is another matter.

Think of amulets and these tattoos as the equivilent of St. Christopher medals Catholics wear. Or any other religious item.

Here is a piture of some girl's breasts, which has nothing to do with what we are talking about...

100_0328.jpg

Archived