Sak Yant Tattoo

youngfarang

Getting shot and killed on the streets of Thailand isn't my number 1 concern. It's not like I'm going to walk down the streets with no shirt on with a huge sign on my head saying I have a yant.

Very true' date=' young man, very true.

However, if you do happen to walk down the streets with no shirt on, with a yant, you do have an invisible sign on your head saying 'Im a total tosspot, look at me silly wee tat'

[/quote']

You'd be wrong on that, at least in more than a few cases. When I went to Wat Bang Pra to take photos, I was well received by the guys in there, and many offered to let me go first if I wanted to get one. I do find most people who are into this fairly accepting of our interest/curiosity, and of our having these. It seems to be the Farangs who have a problem with it.

As I said, I know many Farang Muay Thai fighters, who are very into the culture of Muay Thai, they get their Mongol (head piece) blessed before fights, perform Wai Kru, and some have the Yants. No Thais that deal with these people seem to have a problem with it, and many actually are honored by it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forgot to mention, I have no real idea on cost. I do know a smaller one which one of our fighters had done at Khao Sarn Road was 5000bht, which seems expensive. We are talking the small "pyramid" design on the upper back, just below the neck. It was done with a gun, and looks really sharp in detail. As I said, I am fairly certain the monks don't use set prices. The Thais I saw were giving very little, usually money and cigarettes.

I do find most people who are into this fairly accepting of our interest/curiosity, and of our having these. It seems to be the Farangs who have a problem with it.

I never knew that temples will charge devotees for sak yant. If they do, it just shows how commercialized some temples are these days.

A sak yant should be free,but then again monks have cars and mobile phones now too.

I do find most people who are into this fairly accepting of our interest/curiosity' date=' and of our having these. It seems to be the Farangs who have a problem with it. [/quote']

I never knew that temples will charge devotees for sak yant. If they do, it just shows how commercialized some temples are these days.

A sak yant should be free,but then again monks have cars and mobile phones now too.

As I said, it was done dirt cheap. SOmething is almost always offered to monks for blessings and what not, small money, food etc...

Archived