08/09 UEFA Champions League

Mekong

Uunited certainly have more than their fair share of gobshites in their team :shakehead

Patrice Evra has branded Arsenal "babies" after last night's crushing Champions League victory at the Emirates Stadium, and said Manchester United's performance was on "another level".

Evra, who played his part as United recorded a 3-1 second-leg win, 4-1 on aggregate, said United's superiority was clear.

"It was 11 men against 11 babies. We never doubted ourselves. We have much more experience and that's what made the difference. We were always confident. It should have been that score in the first leg anyway. It is a great United team that won.

"Football today is not only about playing well, it's about winning trophies. Everybody talks about the way Arsenal play but, at the end of the day, it's about winning silverware.

"At United, we play well and we win. Tactically and technically we were superior. You look at our starting 11 and theirs and you see that we are well above.

"Lots of people are disappointed because they thought they would beat us like they did in the league. But the Champions League is another level."

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teddy,

Take off your ABU Glasses and there is a lot of truth in what Evra is saying, So much has been made over the past 2-3 seasons about the "Arsenal Babes" but at the end of the day they have delivered nothing despite all the hype and promise about "a team in the making", four years without a trophy and finishing fourth in the league may satisfy the board but not the supporters. Next Years CL Qualifying will be a lot more difficult than previous seasons since EPL 4th place will be an unseeded team.

You have admitted it yourself that they need a holding midfielder and that's only the start of it, they also need a central defender and a full back as well. SAF refused to sell Heinze to your team but was happy to let Silvestre go to Arsenal and that in itself must tell you something.

Wenger made a start when he bought Arsheven but he needs at least another 3-4 players of the same class and experience to mix with the undoubtable "Babes" he has on his hands and that will take a 50-60 Mill investment over summer.

The stats from last nights game, Arsenal had more pocession and greater territorial advantage but had a lot less shots on target, United were prepared to let them have the ball and hit them on the counter since they realised that they were not capable of breaking them down and hurting them, I seem to remember a certain team from the opposite end of the East Lancs Road who were masters at this art in the late 70's / early 80's and had the most succesful period in their clubs history mastering the art of being the away team.

Last night United were not only more organised but also more up for it and more of a team, Park and Rooney worked their socks off getting back assisting O'Shea and Evra respectively and I think that Ronaldo has finally buried the myth thet he is a "Big Game Bottler" . The third goal was a perfect example of team work, every united player was back in the final third of the pitch, 13 Seconds, 7 Touches and 3 Passes later the ball was in the back of the Arsenal net as a result of breaking down one of their attacks as a Unit.

It was Men V Babes last night, it was a team who worked for the team as opposed to eleven individuals with no bite. To put into (a scouse) perspective, that performance reminded me of how the team from the other end of the East Lancs who I was jealous of but respected nearly 30 years ago used to dominate games and it makes me proud to see my team now control games in a similar fashion.

I don't disagree with anything you have said there. However, there was no need for Evra to come out with these comments even if they were true.

They serve no purpose except for Arsene to pin them up on the dressing room wall before they face ManU in the PL, now wait a minute :hmmm::soccer:

If he had said it in is native tongue it may have been a red rag but since it was in English I don't expect most of the Arsenal Squad to understand.

Joking aside, Evra's comments were made just after the game when he was still on a high from the performance and qualification to this seasons UCL Final, I was reading them at 8AM BKK time this morning on certain feeds. If the same comments had of been made at 2PM the afternoon after the game I agree that they could be looked at in a different way but "In the Heat of the Moment" Euphoria often clouds common sense.

PS The Lacoste Sleeping Bag joke is still making me chuckle :thumbup:

Holy crap, that Essien goal was out-bloody-rageous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 penalties not given already, both for Chelsea. Another ref on a power trip and having a total nightmare...or did someone slip him some moolah. Certainly the first was an obviously infraction in the area.

There was a article in the daily mail yesterday about the FIFA refs having a jolly in Spain or somewhere. They were asked to watch videos of certain decisions. There were a lot more Chelsea videos shown. I know we have our fair share but surely no more than any other team in Europe.

The ref was a fucking disgrace. 3 stonewall penalties not given and where the fuck did the 4 mins of extra time come from ?

What is done is done, but that ref should be sacked

Very poor referee. I would say one absolutely stonewall penalty, one clear penalty but I can see why the ref may not have been sure and one that I am still unsure about even after watching the replay.

Abidal sending off was a joke, Anelka tripped over himself.

Have to admit though that the bad decisions favoured Barca.

if we lose we lose,i would rather lose to Barca then Chelsea.

an achievement to reach 2 finals in a row.

the ref was poor and with no disrespect to him but should'nt a game like this go to a top italian,german etc?.

UEFA will probably appoint a ref from Albania or Andorra for the final.................

Archived