Khmer women better than Thai: If I had it to do over....

Tiger Moth

This post involves Thailand and Cambodia and so I am posting it here rather than in Regional Sanuk. Actually, Sanuk plays only a small part in this post.

I have lived in Bangkok, off Lang Suan, in one of the best neighborhoods (2 years), Pattaya, (one year) and Khon Kaen (6 months).

I lived in Cambodia for 6 months and have travelled to Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville numerous times.

If I had it to do over again, I would have skipped Thailand and came to Phnom Penh.

I may be unusual, many times I skip the night life in PP and get up at 4am. At 4:45 or so I head out for some exercise. At 5am, one can walk for a couple of hours, down broad boulevards passing parks and Wats. Aeobic classes are going on, many people are simply walking for exercise. It is a beautiful sight to see and environment to be in.

I now find Khmer women to be more attractive than Thai women. Many more have long, beautiful hair down to their waists. No excessive makeup, no tendy clothes, no cellphone glued to the ear, no tatoos.....

I have worked in New York City, I have worked on Wall Steet at JP Morgan (who paid a rate of 1/2 million a year for my consulting services, blah, blah, blah.

I don't find the women in BKK who are trying to upgrade their Toyotas to BMWs of BMWs to Benz to be even remotely attractive or intersting.

I don't find the women in Pattaya with tattoos, excessive makeup, "stylish" hair to be attractive,.

I do find a Khmer woman with hair down to her waist, w/o excessive makeup, w/0 tattoos, just trying to live a decent life to be attractive.

All other things aside. Phnom Penh, is better than any city I have been in in Thailand.

And, while Thai women in my opinion were a bit more attractive than Khmer women, presently, Khmer women are much more attractive.

And, the people are more natural and friendly..

Not, to mention the remaining French influence and that one can get delicious meals here at low cost...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi!

Ihaven't been to Phnom Penh for abot 10 years so I suppose it's quite different today. As you know I'm mot so young so accesss to medical care would be a concern. Sofar I have been lucky enough to not need it but there will come a day when I do. Back then it was my understanding that western standard hospitals were not available in Cambodia. Also I found PP a rather scruffy city that still had marks from the war(s). Apart from that I liked the people a lot.

I agree that the khmer women were very beautiful but on a global scale I would rate Vietnamese women higher.

I wasn't overly impressed with the food althogh it was OK. I like Thai food and in places like Bkk and Pattaya food from anywhere in the world is available and often good qulity at that.

When I eventually can retire I suppose that Thailand might have become to expensive so Cambodia might be an alternative.

Currently I'm living in Stockholm which is quite OK except for the climate which sucks farts from dead hedgehogs.

regards

ALHOLK

I like stylish Thai girls who wear make up and are somewhat urbane. Though there's nothing objectionable with having hair down to their waists. Some Thai girls have that. too.

Some guy who lives there told me Khmer girls are problematic because they all have a relative in the military or police department, who they can call upon to make your life miserable.

I rule out PP as a home base because there is virtually no good hospitals and health care. If you get in an accident, you're screwed. Calmette Hospital is the worst hospital I've ever been to.

PP is very boring except for the P4P scene. No movies, good restaurants, transportation, gyms swimming etc.

I always get food poisoning there, even though I'm very picky.

But, I think there is a good business potential for the future. I'd like to have the first Mc Donald's. It would blow Lucky Burger out of business.

I've seen them all running around on Sisoquath Quay before dawn, than I went back to bed, I don't like jogging, so that is out.

If I was an isolationist, I'd go to Snookyville. Good swimming and P4P. Otherwise, there's nothing to do. All the Falang businesses there seem to be German.

Cambo is good to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. Bkk/Pttya is better.

Who doesn't love Viet girls?

Earning half million & then now liking cheap food in Cambodia?

Well as in the related social commentary post there's nothing wrong with wanting to escape the materialistic rat race which is on much higher speed in the east than the west I'd say & thus surely less developed than LOS would appeal more like Cambodia. However Laos would be an even better bet coz time seem to virtually stand still there. 10years there is probably similar to a few months in LOS or a few years in PP. Now Vietnam is master sprinter of them all, but for now it's still an amazing place somewhere between LOS & Cambodia.

However my choice used to be Indonesia with it's vast & diverse islands, but don't tell anyone!

Actually these days I may opt for even more developed cities like Sillypore or Hong Kong :cover:

Yeah that's not based on sanook either!!!

Sorry who didn't fancy Viet pussy?

I could only live in PP, if would have an interesting job AND in case of an own business only if I would have good connections to the Khmer elite.

Also Cambo is much more corrupt and dangerous than LOS. Without good connections you are really fucked in Cambo as soon as you enter a playground dominated by Khmer.

As it was said before, PP doesn't offer anything beside the P4P scene and restaurants. Therefore without a good and interesting job I would be bored to death after a month.

And I would never go for food to Cambo. Khmer food is really bland. Luckily there are much more foreign restaurants in PP than a few years ago, but these restaurans are IMHO more expensive than in BKK. After one week in PP I was happy to spend my last holiday weekend in BKK especially because of the Thai food.

In regard to Khmer girls, I pefer her visual features, but in regard to P4P their service is not much different compared to Thai BGs, but - still - cheaper.

Almost all of the P4P girls have a mobile phone, they don't shy away from makeup and I spotted the first tattoos in January.

To respond to a few things in various posts: Plenty of Viet ladies here in PP. Bumrungrad has an office, which I have walked past but never entered (I think Bangkok Hospital does as well). I have heard, if you have a serious condition, they fly you to Bumrungrad for treatment - not ideal but takes no more time than if you live in BKK suburbs. In fact, I don't see much difference unless you have a massive heart attach or get hit by a car (any situation in which you need immediate care for a critical condition). Otherwise, it would be easy to use Bumrungrad or others in BKK. I spent one night in Bumrungrad and the other patient in room had come from another country for treatment for a heart condition. So, for a critical situation, I agree PP does not provide the type of medical care available in BKK. But, for anything other than critical care, it is only a one hour flight to BKK, so, no big deal.

Things are changing here. Plenty of upscale, cute air-conditioned coffee shops, book stores, new upscale places to shop, new restaurants. Passed a new building the other day, about 7 stories high with the top 3 stories being a health club - all glass, so people on tread mills looking out over the city.

There are Thai restaurants here for those who hunger for Thai food.

Plenty of Viet ladies around.

Many guys living in Thailand enjoy GoGo bars - not available in PP.

There are more and more upscale, trendy clubs - no appeal to me personally.

To clarify, I did have a client on Wall Street that paid the company I worked for at the rate of $500M per year for my consulting services. I received a small %. If I had received the full payment or even a large %, I would still be in NYC.

In general, much more available here than previously. But, over time, and I think it will take years, many of the Khmer ladies will become more like Thai ladies - more pretentious or trendy hair styles and tattoos - for upper scale society and lower scale society respectively. I imagine here it is like Thailand 20 years ago.

By the way, if I did live here, I would take the one hour flight and spend frequent holiday time in Thailand. So, best of both worlds in my opinion.

For me, the big difference is I have studied Thai language and although I am fair at best in Thai, I can always manage to successfully communicate my needs/desires (new external disk drive for my computer, type of food I wnat). But, I don't know any Khmer language. - in Thailand, when I go out to exercise, I have quite a few Thai guys that I can pass the time with - using my limited Thai and their limited English. No philosophical discussions. But, having no Khmer language skills, I can not do the same in PP.

So, I won't move to PP. But, if I had come moved here 4 years ago, instead of Thailand, I think I would enjoy it here now more. Of course, living in PP 4 years ago would have been hard time, in my opinion.

Finally, someone mentioned something on the order of it would be too risky to invest here. When I lived here (Sihaanoukville) for 6 months, it was with the thought of investing. Attraction was one could have a business here for a fraction of the cost in Thailand. On the other hand, as the poster indicated, high risk. A powerful Khmer could just come along and say, hey, your business is now mine - best of luck to you and goodbye.

To OH, my Thai g/f, from the Ubon area, looks very Khmer. In fact some Thai people take her for Khmer. It was funny a few weeks ago. We went to Thai Immigration in Korat to do my 90 day reporting. We had to ask for directions. When my Thai g/f asked some Thai guy for directions to Immigration, he assumed she was a foreigner and was astounded she spoke Thai so well!

If I had to do it all over, I would have gone to either Case Western University or University of Chicago, and got a degree in International Relations. Then after graduating instead of going to the UK and Ireland for 5 months I would have gone to SEA. This is back in 1985 mind you, when listening to a guy in a hostel in Galloway talk about visiting the 'golden triangle' was the wildest thing I had ever heard.

So I would have gone to SEA and visit these places but I would have ended up in Singapore where I would have gotten a job that took me frequently to Macau. While on one of these trips to Macau I would have met a young Macacian girl and woo'd her. We would eventually get married and settle down in Singapore, but I would have bought a house near Hai Sac beach with enough property to have a small garden.

I really like the girls in Macau, the natives that is. Nice looking, sophisticated, an idea of what the world is all about and being from Macau, exotic.

But of course my life has turned out to be one mistake after another, forever.

Archived