Tennis: a classic choke/submission

Tiger Moth

After working his way back from a huge deficit, Roddick was two points from forcing a fifth set at 5-4, 30-love in the fourth. But he double-faulted twice in a row and was broken for the fifth time -- twice more than he lost serve in his first four matches combined.

Then

At 5-5 in the tiebreaker, a 15-stroke point at the baseline concluded when Roddick missed a backhand slice into the net.

"A bad shot," Roddick conceded.

However, Roddick did not miss a backhand slice into the net. He tried a drop-shot.

One of the few times I have ever heard TV analysts give a perfect, entirely honest explanation of what happened. For 15 stokes, Roddick had done his best, hit his best shots... and Djokovic had been able to handle all Roddick could dish out. So, Roddick, stopped fighting and hit a hail mary drop shot.

In other words, Roddick submitted.

By all accounts, Roddick is very intelligent and extremely hard working. But, after all the coaches, including Jimmy Connors who demands total dedication and got it from Roddick, he has not improved. He is still a big serve, a bit forehand and otherwise average.

I like Roddick. He seems to be a really nice hard working guy. But, his ranking has been slowly falling for the last several years - and now, it appears he had lost heart.

I expect Roddick will now fall in the rankings quite rapidly - either into the 20's or he will retire.

Makes one appreciate Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan... all the more.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's sad in a way that a player of Roddick's caliber came along at a time when Federer was dominating the game.

Lleyton Hewitt, on the other hand... only ever an average player who tried hard, started his career at a time of a relative talent vacuum and reaped better rewards.

I think Roddick is too self absorbed.

He thinks he is better than he is.

When he won the Open in 2003, he thought he had it made. He got cocky.

I agree that he lost heart and hit that dropper.

And the two double faults were a clear choke.

At least at number 5 or 6 in the world you can still make 10 mil a year [incl endorsements]. Not a bad cushion with which to lick one's wounds.

At least at number 5 or 6 in the world you can still make 10 mil a year [incl endorsements]. Not a bad cushion with which to lick one's wounds.

Sure, I agree entirely. Actually, this reality has hurt competitive sports. Plenty of guys with the potential to excel chose to suffer with a few million rather than extend themselves and sacrifice to be the best.

However, I don't know for sure but from what I have read, Roddick seems to have tried his best but fell short.

Now, I suspect he will pack it in and suffer with the few million a year.

After working his way back from a huge deficit, Roddick was two points from forcing a fifth set at 5-4, 30-love in the fourth. But he double-faulted twice in a row and was broken for the fifth time -- twice more than he lost serve in his first four matches combined.

Then

At 5-5 in the tiebreaker, a 15-stroke point at the baseline concluded when Roddick missed a backhand slice into the net.

"A bad shot," Roddick conceded.

However, Roddick did not miss a backhand slice into the net. He tried a drop-shot.

One of the few times I have ever heard TV analysts give a perfect, entirely honest explanation of what happened. For 15 stokes, Roddick had done his best, hit his best shots... and Djokovic had been able to handle all Roddick could dish out. So, Roddick, stopped fighting and hit a hail mary drop shot.

In other words, Roddick submitted.

By all accounts, Roddick is very intelligent and extremely hard working. But, after all the coaches, including Jimmy Connors who demands total dedication and got it from Roddick, he has not improved. He is still a big serve, a bit forehand and otherwise average.

I like Roddick. He seems to be a really nice hard working guy. But, his ranking has been slowly falling for the last several years - and now, it appears he had lost heart.

I expect Roddick will now fall in the rankings quite rapidly - either into the 20's or he will retire.

Makes one appreciate Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan... all the more.

TM...You expect him to possibly retire?? Because he lost to a seed who was ranked higher than him? And because it was over one shot? Come on now....I know you are smarter than that.

Firstly, a drop shot is not a give-up shot. I didn't see the match or even the shot on any replay so I could be way off but that type of shot hit at the right time is a perfect shot. It is not giving up.

Secondly, as I briefly mentioned, Djocovic was ranked higher and "supposed" to win. To suggest that he will retire because Roddick lost to a higher seed in a major tourney is somewhat premature, IMO. I will not disagree he may drop in rank due to frustration but highly doubt he will pack it in.

I didn't even suggest he would retire. Here is what I said, which you can see in the post,

Now, I suspect he will pack it in and suffer with the few million a year.
As someone else had mentioned in the thread, today's tennis players don't have to be near #1 to make a few million a year. So, I meant, pack it in with regards to any aspiration of being #1 again. Perhaps, falling into the 20's in world rankings and with his endorsements, still making millions a year.

You didn't see his drop shot. I did. It was not a well timed shot. Not only was that evident to me, that he packed it in, but, as I mentioned, to my surprise, the announcers were unusually frank in assessing it that way.

Andy packed it in. Simple as that.

And, since he did, I don't expect he will regain the fire. Thus, I do expect his tenacity to fall along with his ranking and he will settle for being in the 20's and a few mill a year.

I didn't even suggest he would retire. Here is what I said, which you can see in the post

[color:blue]Really? What is this then?[/color]

I stand by 100% what I said. One bad shot will not cause this man to "pack it in", retire, whatever you want to call it. He just turned 26 from what I can see and the only big name I ever remember quitting at that age had the last name of Borg. He won everything there was to win, (edit...except a US Open, according to list) Roddick hasn't. He'll be back and will win another major.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived