Prenuptial Agreement - Thailand

unit731

Hate to break it to you, but entering a legal marriage *is* a prenuptual agreement. If you don't like the governments terms, then write your own. Marriage is an extremely serious legal matter so it makes sense to do it right for your circumstances rather than taking the defaults for dummies.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hate to break it to you, but entering a legal marriage *is* a prenuptual agreement. If you don't like the governments terms, then write your own. Marriage is an extremely serious legal matter so it makes sense to do it right for your circumstances rather than taking the defaults for dummies.

I know this from experience, from a few cases I have seen here. Prenups are always later fought over. and, with forigners, the whole game changes.

In a few cases I know with Thais and Filipinas, the cultural card is played, and the American often loses. Even in cases where the guy keeps what he had before, or bought with his/inherited money etc, the game again changes if kids are involved...gets to be messy, and there is no 100% sure way to cover your ass, EXCEPT to NOT get married...

As far as I know,under Thai law all wealth produced during the duration of the marriage is split 50-50.Any assets held before the marriage are not relevant....not sure about future earnings......pre-nups are now taken into consideration in divorce cases in the UK...

As far as I know,under Thai law all wealth produced during the duration of the marriage is split 50-50.Any assets held before the marriage are not relevant....not sure about future earnings......pre-nups are now taken into consideration in divorce cases in the UK...

Having been through a divorce in Thailand I think I am more aware of the actual facts than most.

In my case there were no kids involved so that simplified matters, divorce was simply going down to city hall and registering it, 500 THB for the divorce certificate and that was it.

What often happens is the prenupt is just one more thing to fight about/over. The guy says "...I don't have the money to pay her off, as she put me into debt..." or she says "...he is worth more now, because of all I did for him..." In the end, the only winners are the lawyers.

Archived