Heading for disaster?

Tiger Moth

I am living in Issan. I know a couple of other foreigners, falangs. They are each married to very intelligent, very good English speaking, Thai women.

Neither of these 2 guys know a word of Thai language. Both are entirely dependant on their Thai wives. Neither has integrated into Thailand at all. Both still eat falang food.

Each have entirely turned their financial lives over to the Thai women. For example, one just bought an inexpensive (250,000 baht) condo. The condo was put in the name of the Thai wife's daughter (why not in the name of the guy who put up the money?).

I am not very good at Thai language but I can hold a limited conversation in Thai. Often, if Thai's are conversing in my presence, I can pick out a few words and get the "drift" of their conversation. I primarily eat Thai food, primarily from the local food stands.

So, I feel I am not totally unprotected. Sure, a determined, sophisticated Thai person could pass one over on me. But, I could more than likely identify that I was dealing with a shark and avoid the situation.

These 2 guys, as I see it, are totally exposed. Either they have met the perfect Thai women, intelligent, ambitious, very good English language skills or they are sitting ducks.

I know both Thai women. They seem very nice, but, very ambitious. I think these guys are sitting ducks.

Of course, no one reading this knows the individuals involved and could predict the future.

But, not learning any Thai language at all, sticking with falang food and only being able to interact with other falangs, totally turning financial control over to the Thai wife....

doesn't this look like a future disaster in both situations?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But, not learning any Thai language at all, sticking with falang food and only being able to interact with other falangs, totally turning financial control over to the Thai wife....

I traveled to LOS with two friends over the years. Each has married a Thai gal. Neither have taken the time or has ambition to learn Thai. And they both do have the time. Just plain stupid or lazy or both.

I am living in Issan. I know a couple of other foreigners, falangs. They are each married to very intelligent, very good English speaking, Thai women.

Neither of these 2 guys know a word of Thai language. Both are entirely dependant on their Thai wives. Neither has integrated into Thailand at all. Both still eat falang food.

Each have entirely turned their financial lives over to the Thai women. For example, one just bought an inexpensive (250,000 baht) condo. The condo was put in the name of the Thai wife's daughter (why not in the name of the guy who put up the money?).

I am not very good at Thai language but I can hold a limited conversation in Thai. Often, if Thai's are conversing in my presence, I can pick out a few words and get the "drift" of their conversation. I primarily eat Thai food, primarily from the local food stands.

So, I feel I am not totally unprotected. Sure, a determined, sophisticated Thai person could pass one over on me. But, I could more than likely identify that I was dealing with a shark and avoid the situation.

These 2 guys, as I see it, are totally exposed. Either they have met the perfect Thai women, intelligent, ambitious, very good English language skills or they are sitting ducks.

I know both Thai women. They seem very nice, but, very ambitious. I think these guys are sitting ducks.

Of course, no one reading this knows the individuals involved and could predict the future.

TM,

"sticking with falang food"

I hardly see this as a problem/part of the problem. I have been here for enough years now that I am a bit tired at times of Thai foods. I do not eat as much Thai food as I once did, and I miss certain farang foods... a lot at times. I make it myself if I want it, and my wife can cook many farang dishes as well after my teaching her what is required and how it should look and taste. She actually makes the best breakfast omelets I've tasted. :thumbup:

But, to tell the truth, the thought of another plate of noodles or rice sometimes makes me gag. I usually mix my meals, sometimes Yank dishes, sometimes Thai, sometimes I eat at the Brit restaurant nearby, sometimes the German joint too. When in BKK or Pattaya I enjoy the fact there are many cuisines to choose from. Eating Thai daily is like if I were back in the states eating at a Chinese restaurant for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It gets old quickly, no matter how much one may enjoy the dishes set before one.

Are you saying these gents NEVER eat Thai food?

The language thing could be a problem, but if their wives speak good English (as my own does) sometimes, unless a concerted effort by the man is made to learn Thai, it just doesn't seem all that important, especially if you know just that enough Thai to get by for most daily situations. I do agree though that not being fluent could make one an easier target to be scammed. I guess they 'trust' their wives?

Also, do you know for certain their full financial status? Many men bring enough to live on to Thailand, and keep the balance of their funds and income in their home country banks and financial institutions, using ATM, credit cards, money transfers, etc to bring in needed cash. I know I do.

It sounds to me these guys like Thailand, and like the living here, but aren't that motivated or see no need to fully integrate. Not all farang feel giving up their own foods, culture, language, etc to be of much benefit for them to live here. Many get by with the help of family, wives, and a smattering of the language, and tend to hang with other farangs for their conversational needs.

Could they be fucked over? Sure. The possibility is there. I guess they are comfortable enough in their relationships to feel unthreatened and are comfortable in their chosen situation and surroundings to enjoy life here with what they have at their disposal.

Is there something you've seen or heard that would make you suspect they may be in danger of being defrauded?

Not everyone is gifted with learning language easily, and many are older and just feel that learning the language wouldn't be that much of a benefit (I am talking semi-fluent here - most know enough to 'get by') to put in the effort and time to become fluent. Some are just lazy to be sure. :smirk: You yourself state you are far from fluent. Are you at risk yourself because your Thai is not that good? Maybe in a strange setting, but at home with wife and family, who may speak English fairly well, I think 'most' are not that bad off or in much danger. If they have taken some certain precautions that is. :shifty:

Just my thoughts on this.

Cent

If I was to go back living in Thailand with my lady the situation would be exactly the same (except not in Isaan but rather in Bangkok).

I speak very basic Thai (and I don't expect to become fluent quickly) but she speaks a very good English.

I enjoy very much Thai food but we would end up eating farang food a lot as she cooks Italian food and loves Italian and farang food...

If a condo' cost was "only 250K bht" then surely I would have no problems to put it under her sister's name...

Are these men retired or active expats?

The issue I have with learning Thai...is that I only soeak Thai when I am in Thailand!

Thai is not an international language but any mans.

I can speak Italian...and get by in Mexico, Portugal Spain, etc. So Italian/Spanish is handy.

I can speak Japanese, and this is handy in Taiwan, Korea and several other countries that were under Japanese rule for some years.

etc, etc...

But Thai...had to get motivated...

especially if you know just that enough Thai to get by for most daily situations
Well, that is the case for me. These guys don't know a word of Thai, nothing at all. The part about falang food really relates to not knowing any Thai at all, that they are limited to falang restaurants where the staff speak some English.

Hey, maybe these guys are lucky. Maybe their wives are totally trustworthy.

I guess growing up as a city kid in the US, I learned to be somewhat guarded and knowing "enough Thai to get by in most daily situations" gives me a little sense of security.

I have been with Thai women and they are having a conversation. I will understand part of the conversation and make some inane comment or other to show I have some understanding. I don't know. Maybe, I am just paranoid.

I do know one of the wives does get frustrated that she has to handle everything since her husband knowing not a word of Thai, can't do anything on his own.

Part of my thing with falang food I suppose is also the pricing system and that I am cheap. If I can get a Thai dish with chicken, vegetables and rice for 50 baht and the exact same with potatoes costs 150 baht, I'll go with the Thai dish everytime. Its not entirely the cost of the falang dish that gets me, its the disparity in cost. The ingrediants don't make up the difference in cost, its the falang premium that is charged. If it were 50 baht vs 70 baht that would be one thing. But, often it is more like 50 vs 150 baht - yet the chicken and veggies are the same cost to the restaurant.

So, maybe its just that I am cheap and paranoid!!

Yes, you're right, they're totally dependent on their wifes. Sitting ducks as you say. Not much different really from what happens to lots of TGs when they move to farangland. And yes, those stories usually end in tears, too.

If I was to go back living in Thailand with my lady ......

.... but she speaks a very good English....

.....as she cooks Italian food and loves Italian and farang food...

[color:blue]Drogon please specify which one you are talking about , this is confusing . Is she the one from Madrid , Rome , Soi 33 or the office with the marble lobby ?[/color]

If a condo' cost was "only 250K bht" then surely I would have no problems to put it under her sister's name...

[color:blue]If you ask me , not worth wasting time with registering .[/color]

Archived