Heading for disaster?

Tiger Moth

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes and no! Like many things in LOS, especially when your married. IMO frogs are better, sell for more, yet eat less. I like your retirement plan OH.

The Farang you mention are not unlike many tucked away in rural Thailand, I have seen them before and myself could'nt believe the fact they could'nt speak Thai, and they spent more time there than I did. Thai food can taste like a combination of rice, weeds and roadkill after a while and it does'nt surprise me if they have gone off it. I myself don't mind a combination of either as long as I'm not the one cooking it. Some people are stubborn in thier ways and are happy without knowing everything that is going on, or taking the time to learn another language. Myself I am an aussie born and bred yet when I was mid twenties I could speak fluent greek(handy in Melbourne). I can speak quite a bit of Thai these days yet really don't care for it. One simmilarity is that when learning either language I had heaps of fun. But thats me, I like learning, I'm about to begin studying again next year, and am looking at further study beyond that. I would'nt say that I am overly academic allthough I am quite inquisitive so I guess thats where the want for knowledge comes from. Language is just one of things that I pick up on. But thats me, everyone is diferent. Are the 2 farang going to be scammed? well I would pehaps say they may be placed in a position some time in the future where they could be held over a barrel unless like Cent said they are there on budget and could afford to walk away without care. Either way they will end up leaving everything in Thailand where it is, only difference how bitter they'll become it has happened.

As we have all heard before, don't spend more than you can afford to lose.

FAussie.

A condo for 250 k Bt...sounds like a bargain......as regards learning Thai,I can understand much of what is said on the tv ( except the royal news which defeats me completely )and hold simple conversations,but on a recent trip up to the Pitsanulok/loei area with the gf and 3 other relations they were chatting away and I really had no idea wtf they were on about....maybe another 3 yrs study required :(

Fact that farangs don't know Thai, leave all to wives, eat only farang food--pretty damn common.

Not in Issan, but up in Phitsanulok, know lots of the expats. A few work in extended oil/gas industry, a few are English teachers, and many are retired. Majority tends to be British (lots of Irish and Scots). About 80 percent speak no Thai, eat farang food exclusively (actually British food, I will desist giving my opinion of "British Cuisine"), and basically give all control daily life and property over to the wife. Some have bought their property in conjuction with businesses, but most have taken the easy way and have simply put property in their wive's name. Most have been "married" and have lived in Thailand for many years (10 or over).

It's sort of interesting to see many of them at the local farang bar, talking, arguing, getting drunk, then see their wives show up at 10 o'clock and the guys quickly pay their bill and shuttle to the car. But, "heading for danger", I don't think so. Their ladies take pretty good care of them, and at this point, it's become a relationship (regardless of the Thai/Farang syndrome). Were their wives BG's? Yeah, many probably as many of the guys have absolutely no social skills. Now many of the them have had children with their spouses or are actively taking care of children from previous marriages.

Phitsanulok is not cosmopolitan like BKK or Chiang Mai, but certainly not as rural as many places in Issan. However, it is not a tourist haven, and to that end, there are not that many farangs, so you don't even tend to get double pricing for most things. To get along there you really need to speak Thai or have an advocate (read wife or GF) to help you along. Many are still involved in small-time business, small bars, restaurants, stores, etcs. again, mostly under the wive's names. So, long-term, they seem OK, even thriving. Your opportunity is what you make of it. You don't necessarily have to merge with Thai society to maintain a decent lifestyle, but you have to have a trustworthy partner.

Personally, I would find not being able to communicate limiting. Maybe I just like to hear the sound of my own voice, but I find it hard to stay out of the conversation. I like Thai food, but agree with earlier posters, that variety is the spice of life, and I try to vary cuisine when I have the opportunity. If you ask my Thai kids what is their favorite food, they would say "Sushi or steak." Even grandma, who originally thought I was dying when I refused to eat rice at every meal now thinks spaghetti with a meat sauce is great. I often quote a homily that might pertain to food or lifestyle, "Eating the same rice every day is boring."

mmm,

great comments - I tend to agree with you.

no harm in not going local it's really up to each & everyone to choose what works for him :-)

the risk of loosing it all financially or even getting hurt one can never rule out, but unless actively digging one's own grave or having a bad/evil/untrustworthy wife/partner I'd say the risk is manageable even with no thai language skills or social skills for that matter :)

Archived