PINK FLOYD: Rick Wright dies!

Mentors

Richard Wright, a founding member of the British rock band Pink Floyd, died in his home on Monday (Sept. 15) at the age of 65. He had been battling cancer. Wright formed Pink Floyd along with Roger Waters and Nick Mason. He wrote, played keyboards, and sang on some of the band's biggest songs, like ''The Great Gig In The Sky'' and ''Us And Them'' from 1973's The Dark Side Of The Moon. He left band in the early '80s but rejoined for their 1987 album A Momentary Lapse of Reason. (AP via Yahoo!) To share your thoughts on Wright and Pink Floyd, head over to our tribute in PopWatch.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20225873,00.html

:(:(:rip:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alholk you are both correct and Incorrect,

Rick along with Roger Waters and Nick Mason were studying architecture together when they formed the Architechtural Abdabs in 1965, it was later that art student Syd Barret joined them and they changed the name to Pink Floyd. Most purveyors of the band agree that Wright / Waters / Mason as the Abdabs was the original Floyd line up.

Here is wishing he has many an encore at his Great Gig in the Sky :rip:

Alholk you are both correct and Incorrect,

Rick along with Roger Waters and Nick Mason were studying architecture together when they formed the Architechtural Abdabs in 1965, it was later that art student Syd Barret joined them and they changed the name to Pink Floyd. Most purveyors of the band agree that Wright / Waters / Mason as the Abdabs was the original Floyd line up.

Here is wishing he has many an encore at his Great Gig in the Sky :rip:

The OP said the founding members of the Pink Floyd not the Architechtural Abdabs.

I grew up in the sixties during the psychedelic era and I can assure you that before Pink Floyd very few people had heard of the Architechtural Abdabs. Quite recently I saw a program on the telly about Pink Floyd. All the members, I beleive even David Gilmour, mentioned Syd Barret as a very important member in the original Pink Floyd. After all he wrote most of the songs on "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn"

regards

ALHOLK

Just because you are ignorant of the facts does not change the facts. Wright / Waters / Mason were the founder members of the band together with Bob Klose Chris Dennis and Clive Metcalfe.

Originaly known as Sigma 6, they also used other names such as The Abdads, The Screaming Abdads, The Architechural Abdabs, and The Tea Set. Barrett joined during the time they were under the guise of The Tea Set replacing Chris Dennis and when they found themselves on the same billing with another band of the same name Barrett suggested the name "Pink Floyd Sound" (named after two old Carolina bluesmen, Pink Anderson and Floyd Council), the Sound subsequently being dropped.

Barrett came up with the name but hardly a founding member now was he.

Granted he was heavily involved in writing "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" but IMHO the outstanding track from that album that has not only stood the test of time but also was an inkling of how the music style would develop is Interstellar Overdrive which was a Barrett/ Wright / Waters / Mason composition. Look at the second album "A Saucerful of Secrets" Barrett was only credited on one track "Jugband Blues" which is also the only track he sang lead vocals on.

Many Floyd afficinados see Jugband Blues as Barrett's admission that his days with the band were numbered you only have to look at the opeing lines of the song,

It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here

And I'm most obliged to you for making it clear

That I'm not here

In actual fact Barret Left Floyd in March 68 before Saucerful of Secrets was even released.

So as you can see Barrett Joined a Band that Changed its name, to a name he suggested, that hardly makes him a founding member now does it? Maybe you should get your facts correct before going off at a tangent.

So as you can see Barrett Joined a Band that Changed its name, to a name he suggested, that hardly makes him a founding member now does it? Maybe you should get your facts correct before going off at a tangent.

I knew that already. Nothing wrong with my facts. In my opinion it's totally ridiculous to claim that Syd Barret had nothing to do with founding Pink Floyd just because there was a band before he joined. I believe they changed there sound as well as the name so not really the same band is it. Much of the change was due to him joining the band.

ALHOLK

Archived