PINK FLOYD: Rick Wright dies!

Mentors

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David Gilmour, Pink Floyd's guitarist and singer, said in a statement Monday: "In the welter of arguments about who or what was Pink Floyd, Rick's enormous input was frequently forgotten. He was gentle, unassuming and private but his soulful voice and playing were vital, magical components of our most recognized Pink Floyd sound."

Though Syd Barrett and then Roger Waters wrote most of Pink Floyd's songs, Wright shares credit on the improvisatory psychedelic studio works the band composed collectively, and he sang a few lead vocals, including on "Astronomy Domine" from the band's debut album, "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn."

"The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" was released in 1967 and yielded pop hits in England, but LSD use and mental illness made Barrett so unstable that he left Pink Floyd in 1968.

Waters, who had increasingly taken control of Pink Floyd, reportedly threatened not to release "The Wall" unless Wright resigned his full membership in the band. He does not appear on the band's 1983 album, "The Final Cut."

After that album, Waters left Pink Floyd. Amid lawsuits, Gilmour and Mason regrouped under the Pink Floyd name; Wright rejoined them for the 1987 album "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" and "The Division Bell" in 1994.

all...

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/09/16/arts/obits.php

As to expected, after hearing this sad news yesterday I have been relistening to all my Floyd music. I can honestly say that the best recoding I have of theirs is called Black Holes in the Sky , a bootleg recorded on the winter 1974 tour.

It contains all of Dark Side of the Moon, Shine on you crazy diamond parts I-IX which were released a few months after the tour and even a couple of tracks that appeared on Animals 3 years later, namely Raving and Drooling and You've gotta be crazy, retitled Sheep and Dogs respectively when Animals was released.

140 minutes of Floyd at their prime, being a bootleg the sound quality is not great but it sure captures the moment. Anyone passing through Bangkok and wants a copy drop by a Friday meeting I am more than happy to burn a copy for you.

I have just about everything they did together, and some of the solo stuff. None of Wright's solo stuff sad to say. Must get some for a listen.

This news saddened me. I was hoping to catch them again in a future tour. Saw them a few times. My favorite music VDO is the 'Live from Pompeii' dvd. I loved their earlier stuff, and all their later music as well. I don't think they made one album that didn't have a least a few songs I enjoyed to death. Amazing music over the years from all of them. It's too bad the personal shite interferred, as it usually does over time with any group of 'stars' when the egos (and a lot of the time, the money) get in the way of making the art. I still listen to their albums quite often each week. I have Jetcast and have all my music in there and use it as my own personal 'radio station' while set to random. Loads of Floyd on it.

Cent

I saw Gilmour and Wright at Radio City Music Hall during the On An Island tour. I (reluctantly) paid big bucks for travel and a front row seat but my wife said "Just do it as you never know how long those guys will be around". Glad that I took her advice.

I was seated about 8 feet away from Rick Wright during the whole concert and he looked like he was having the best time of his life. Very sad to hear that he passed away but glad to know that his final years were probably among his happiest.

R.I.P. Rick!

Mekong,

Maybe? :thumbup:

I have a very broad taste in music. I do like music that is different, and I am not into the top 40 crap. I like a little bit of most genres and styles, but rock and jazz and fusion are my favorites. I like 'world' as well. Rarely do I find any C&W I can stand, but a few have struck me over the years as listenable. Opera does nothing for me, but I like classical when I am in the mood. I wish I could find some internet radio stations that played more progressive music from around the world. I still listen to some college radio stations from the Boston area that mix it up pretty well. I like new music as well as the older stuff from my younger days, but the influence of Rap and Hip Hop in much of the new music is not to my taste, usually.

A music fiend friend a couple years back downloaded a lot of music to my computer off his mp3 player, loads of good stuff, and lots I wasn't that familiar with. He's a Brit and he had stuff on there I have really grown fond of, artists that I had never heard of.

Pink Floyd has always been one of my favorites of the now so-called 'dinosaur' bands.

Living in Boston near the Berklee School of Music we had the luck to hear many fine musicians and bands, and every weekend they had shows for cheap money by the students at their music hall. Great stuff.

Some day I want to make a list of all the great bands I saw over the years. Sadly the scene is nothing like it used to be. Too expensive they say to tour now. Christ, when I was in my teens, twenties and thirties we usually saw a big name concert a couple times a month, (every weekend in the early seventies actually) and always were going to shows in the clubs and bars. Even used to go every Sunday evening to a small hole in the wall bar that had Blues bands and open mike shows where the musicians would just sign up to play with the house band and other bands. Some great blues bands and musicians would show up there and play for free all night.

Music is one of the good things in life. And it's always a fun time seeing and hearing the bands play.

Cent

I like a little bit of most genres and styles, but rock and jazz and fusion are my favorites.

I was the same 30+ years ago. I listened mainly to Mahavishnu Orchestra, Larry Coryell, Chic Corea, Eumir Deodata and the likes of them.

Rarely do I find any C&W I can stand, but a few have struck me over the years as listenable

I agree with this too but liked Jonny Cash. I also listened to bands influenced by C&W like Buffalo Springfield, Flying Burrito Brothers, Poco and others.

Opera does nothing for me,

I like opera too. One of my favourites is "Boris Gudonov."

Pink Floyd has always been one of my favorites of the now so-called 'dinosaur' bands.

Mine too together with the Rolling Stones.

ALHOLK

As to expected, after hearing this sad news yesterday I have been relistening to all my Floyd music. I can honestly say that the best recoding I have of theirs is called Black Holes in the Sky , a bootleg recorded on the winter 1974 tour.

It contains all of Dark Side of the Moon, Shine on you crazy diamond parts I-IX which were released a few months after the tour and even a couple of tracks that appeared on Animals 3 years later, namely Raving and Drooling and You've gotta be crazy, retitled Sheep and Dogs respectively when Animals was released.

140 minutes of Floyd at their prime, being a bootleg the sound quality is not great but it sure captures the moment. Anyone passing through Bangkok and wants a copy drop by a Friday meeting I am more than happy to burn a copy for you.

Mekong,

I'll gladly take one of those copies of your hands. I'm flying in next friday but probably won't make it for the meeting. Perhaps the friday after?

Floyd were one of my favourite bands when I was growing up, but unfortunately I never got to see them before Roger Waters left the band.

Luckily for me (and I imagine millions of other people) I finally got to see them when they toured the Momentary Lapse of Reason album.

That gig was easily the best outdoor concert that I've ever seen. The sound was just phenomenal, it was the first time that I'd seen a band that used a quadrophonic sound system. Simply awesome.

:rip: Rick.

All those dead legends up there were screaming out for a decent keyboard player. Now they've got their wish.

Archived