Find the bar scene boring???

skirtlifter

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe the people having a boring time in the gogos are boring people. :stirthepo

I never understood the older, miserable expats sitting in go-gos by themselves looking bored shitless. They are everywhere, and I'm not just talking about budget minded TEFL guys.

One time at a booth in The Dollhouse CEP, one of them slid over to me when no girls were around and asked why I bothered to buy them lady drinks and what I expected to gain from it, as if I was a subject in his sociology thesis.

I essentially told him to fuck off and carried on buying lady drinks, but no drinks for him. :nono:

When I'm bored, I'm one drink and out of the bar. In LOS, I'll probably hit another bar (on holiday, etc...). In my country, it would occur to me that I'm just not in the right frame of mind to be out partying, and go home.

I can understand just going to a go-go bar to quickly pull a girl, but not going to one to just sit by yourself and stare at something you've seen a thousand times before. There are better venues to be left alone to cry in your beer.

I think the gogos are just perfect places to go if I feel down, bored and feel like don't wanna socialize. Order a beer and watch the girls dancing, if someone comes over just politely refuse to pay drink and snap, she's gone. You don't even feel like a looser because if you just look around you see many older and more miserable guys doing excactly the same :)

When I'm in a party mood I hit night clubs.

I would never have believed I'd still drop in on the same old bars, discos and go-gos if you'd told me ten years ago, or that I'd find that I could do the same in a whole new set of cities... but somehow I do. Though it usually bores the hell out of me -- until I'm wasted and stupid (the combination is apparently the key - I'm stupid almost all the time, but it's the wastedness that seems to liven things up, or at least drive down the boredom a bit. Just stupid on its own sucks.)

And the girls are eventually mainly the same old, same old -- physically and mentally the same experience for me, habit as much as desire.

Unless - and here's the trouble - you start to constantly seek to ratchet things up a notch, always needing to do yourself one better than the last time. For a while I felt like I was in my own unilateral arms race whenever I went out, and the only way through was going to be the fulfilled promise of Mutually Assured Destruction... Deeper into the gutter, the ATMs, the bottles, the mornings, and deep deep into that peculiar depressing midnight of Surin and Pattaya lost lives.

And then it all changed, the day I found L. Ron Hubbard's Dianetics... no, actually, no books. It just kept getting deeper and weirder and more depressing and less fun, and that's where we are today, another day on which I'll probably go have a look around the bars, though I know what I'll find.

Maybe if I owned a bar it would be more fun...

YimSiam

I think it's pretty easy to get bored of the bar scene if you're there for any extended amount of time. If you've seen one you've pretty much seen them all.

Personally, I have much more fun in the clubs than the bars, but scoring isn't guaranteed. For that the bars are a sure thing and why I still go.

Before the nightlife scene became so big and mercenary, it was fun to go to a bar and chat up a few BGs as you watched the dancers actually DANCE, more often buck naked (in the bars I patronised anyway). You could be friends with the BGs without dumping thousands of baht on them for nothing. Buy them a drink or two and they'd happy. At times I had dancers come and ask to sit with me because some prat they didn't like was after them and they didn't want anything to do with him. Since they knew I speak Thai, they'd tell me tales of problems at home, douchebag husbands who had deserted them as soon as they had his kid, stories about the other girls etc. Some of it was true, some no doubt BS. But it was interesting to listen to anyway. The BGs became real people to me, not just flesh and blood Barbie Dolls who were interchangable.

Nowadays there doesn't seem to be much of that. It's money driven, with the top BGs even refusing to go LT anymore. Ever had a BG spin on her heels and walk away from you the instant she heard you address her in Thai? Oh, well.

I still get the not-quite-GFE that you're talking about, the stories -- the family dramas, the (ex?) husband's boozing and violence and her own destructive card-playing habit, the tragic early death of a parent which caused all the trouble to start ('oh, if only paw was alive, he wouldn't let me work like this...'), the most/least she ever got for a night, the worst thing that ever happened with a customer, the day her mother asked her to start 'working at night', and so on. It takes a little effort to get there, but it seems to happen regularly, maybe because I'm pretty much 100% freelancer, and they have more time and flexibility. They're flesh and blood and emotions, yes, (and lies, yes too) but at the same time I've heard the stories just too many times -- and once you've heard a few really bad and true ones (orphans sold as children into train station brothels, sadistic rape and torture experiences, etc) I almost want to tell the others to either go and get a regular job, or stop whining and admit that she's taking this work because it's big money quick (especially true with those in KL, SIN, etc). But I don't.

YimSiam

Ever had a BG spin on her heels and walk away from you the instant she heard you address her in Thai? Oh, well.

Never had that... yet.

The pattern that I find is that often a girl will "pursue" me for 2 months with phone calls, texts, a load of drama and then suddenly kind of cool. It's always 2 months.

I get kind of weary of the insincerity of it. Why even bother to do that?

The worst ones are those who chuck something odd into the mix, like not wanting money. But then they don't quite commit. So you're left wondering what the hell they want...

As for the sob stories, it's best not to know them. The trouble is, the less you're interested in this, the more they will tell you.

Jaded? Yes! :)

I've had BGs teach me some Thai and Issaann words. :grin:

Some of the best times I have had in a gogo were before opening time. :yay:

I'm not one of the punters that has to discuss the Peloponnesian Wars or the theoretical basis of the Higgs Boson. :grin:

Most conversation is about family, friends, food, places, movies, and music.

Archived