When will the US financial baillout occur?

Tiger Moth

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why am I not surprised. Trying to pass off Conservatives as independent arbiters of this crisis.

This is bullshit. I am "passing off" nothing and I have no use for your dishonest and retarded "standard". There is no such thing as an "independent arbiter". There are' date=' however, certain people who are intelligent, well-educated, honest and articulate. If people who possess these qualities and are knowledgeable about economics tend to be conservatives then that should tell you something right there, steve. [/quote']

My father was a professor of economics (and Law). He was a liberal. He predicted this mess.

RY, you are none of the things you've listed (maybe 1 to an extent).

What level have you studied to?

We all know how honest you are....just look at your posting record...not replying, avoiding threads you've lost on, never admitting you are wrong...yeah, you're real honest!

Articulate...hmmm, well you can write rather well at times. So I'll let you have that one, only in as much as I'm able to comprehend your typed missives. Sadly, whilst your written words can be read, the content is total drivel.

The politicians are only interested in what they can get of the system for themselves!

Hell, when you have people working for you (the politicians and gov workers) and they have better medical, pay and retirement what the fark does that scream st you?

Like the system is all farked up???

Wake up America...

The politicians are only interested in what they can get of the system for themselves!

Hell, when you have people working for you (the politicians and gov workers) and they have better medical, pay and retirement what the fark does that scream st you?

Like the system is all farked up???

Wake up America...

I would agree with this for the pols that serve long term and for almost all senators. The house is a bit different. A lot of senators came from the house or had some sort of statewide office before running for senate.

A lot of people in the house had a more modest political life. A lot of them come in bright eyed and bushy tailed and then eventually get sucked into the corrupt system.

With regards to the bailout, I wonder if Poulson will try and spend it all before the administration changes hands? If loads of banks and financial firms are failing he may feel he has no choice but what if things are going as they are now. Bad but not desperate.

The next adminitration or rather the next Treasury chief could see his or herself with several hundred billion dollars to spend!

After the election will the treasury take his cue from the president elect?

The bailout will probably come about when GWB and a few others get their golden parachutes. I am surprised the way they want to spend so much money without checking everything out. Sounds like a fool in a candy store.

Hi

No one has clue, as of now, as banks stopped leading each other.

Was reading the articles on Nytimes, about Allan Greenp...in 2002 the devirates market was $ 102 trillion and he was a keen player who pushed it and today this same market is crazy $ 536 trillion.... :(:( so who got this money or who will get this. A 700 billion is drop in the sea...

I think it is time to get back basics, did anyone think the US government will start owing banks like the communists.... :surprised::surprised:

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Was reading the articles on Nytimes, about Allan Greenp...in 2002 the devirates market was $ 102 trillion and he was a keen player who pushed it and today this same market is crazy $ 536 trillion.... :(:( so who got this money or who will get this. A 700 billion is drop in the sea...

cheers

The 500 trillion is the notional on the derivatives traded and includes all derivatives. Credit Default Swaps is about 10% of that market. The total value (not notional) of CDS is probably around 2 trillion.

That 700 Billion isn't insignificant. The current plan to take equity stakes in the banks is an improvement over outright purchase of the toxic assets because it allows the banks to leverage that 700 Billion, magnifying the value of that cash infusion. But I think the bottomline is that the financial markets won't be right again until people are brave enough to try and sell their bad assets and really find out what their market value is. This will mean that some banks who made the worst bets will have to fail. Right now, the banking institution and the government is operating on the principle that this is all some kind of psychological panic that will blow over with time. So all they have to do is wait it out. I seriously doubt that's the case... very bad bets were made and the ones who made them have to pay.

A lot of the other derivatives are based on commodities, currencies, stocks and stock indices. These are falling like a stone. Just like a real tsunami, the second wave of the financial tsunami will be bigger than the first wave.

The US government has not put up only $700 billion, but I estimate $3 trillion. Add up Freddie 'n Fannie, all the bad paper Treasury has already bought, guarantees on money market funds, guarantees on the bank mergers, guarantees on bank loans, buying commercial paper, etc. This is like a high stakes poker game. How much the US government wins or loses is yet to be determined. :help:

Archived