New Nikon Cameral

Coss

Hi Coss,

I couldn't see this offer on the site but anyway here are my comments:

I put 'em all in the shopping cart to get the price :)

The 50mm f1.4 is a lens mainly used for portrait work. Is this something you do?

Think girls in bed :)

The multi power battery pack I assume is a grip that holds 2 batteries which gives you extended shooting time but considering that you can shoot hundreds of photos with one battery do you really need it. I have one for my Canon D40 but rarely use it. It does improve grip though for holding the camera vertically (and makes the camera bigger and more professional looking!) but I've never needed to use the power of even one battery in a day.

True but it makes the camera more... manly... in a non gay way...

The 18-200 is a major compromise as is any lens covering such a big range of focal lengths. I can understand the appeal but wouldn't go for a lens like this. Good as a walkabout lens I suppose but it is a compromise on quality. Just my thoughts.

MM.

I see what you mean but Ken Rockwell puts it nicely here Link

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not a bad price, but can do better-quick search on the internet gave a price of $2101 USD for the package (D300-$999, MB-D10-$239, AF-S DX VR 18-200-$579, and AF 50 1.4-$284).

Would you happen to have a link to where I can see these prices?

Gratefull.

Cheers

Coss

The 50mm is just basic, as mentioned, used for close up stuff.

The 18-200...skip it. Go with a 18-70 or a 35-70 or something, and then a 80-300 zoom...or 80-400VR...

Now thinking about a cheaper 50mm and adding a 70-300

Nikon Digital SLR Camera D300 (Body Only)

Nikon MB-D10 Multi Power Battery Pack

Nikon Lens AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G

Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D

Nikon AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G

Cheers

Coss

Nikon Digital SLR Camera D300 (Body Only)

Nikon MB-D10 Multi Power Battery Pack

Nikon Lens AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G

Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D

Nikon AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G

18-200mm and 70-300mm? You've got a huge amount of focal length overlap between these two lenses. Seems like a waste.

The Nikon D300 is a nice piece of kit but you might want to consider the Canon 50D which is released later this month. Indications are that the Canon will have slightly superior image quality but less features and does not have the weather proofing of the Nikon. I would certainly look at the Canon (which will be cheaper too).

When it comes to digital SLR cameras, pretty much anything with a Canon or Nikon badge is great. Also, remember you are buying into a system. Once you're with that one manufacturer, it can become expensive to change i.e. lenses, flash, other accessories etc.

Archived