EMERGENCY! Bars closed Sat night?

radioman

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pathum Thani, Maharai Rangsit area.

Language wise I can get by with requests and pleasantries but fall apart quickly at the more conversational level. I also avoid it where I can as much of what I have picked up might be highly inappropriate and I am sensitive to that.

Having poked my head in a couple of places and actually entered one a while back with a male farang friend we felt very uncomfortable. It was a busy place, late on a Thursday evening, kind of an overgrown wood shack but clearly an 'in' place. A good number of guys and a lot of girls ratio was easily 2:1. We had a beer and smiled a lot. One guy spoke to us in fairly good English, very pleasant at first but before we had finished our first beer he indicated that farang normally went elsewhere for their fun. I explained that I lived locally and was looking for places to hang out not too far from home. He went on to say that not many girls around there spoke English (actually I think he was suggesting they were not available) and a few of the guys might get the wrong idea. I said we were not there to find women, true, just looking and drinking. 20 something college girls look hot but are way too much like hard work for me and usually a pain in the ass and within a mile of home it would be suicide anyway.

It's not that we were told to get lost but there seemed a definite coolness to the whole place it seemed to appear from the time we walked in to the time we left. My feeling is the problem could be from both sides, we all didn't really know what to make of the situation.

I'm going to pursue it though, I'd really like a local I can walk/stagger to and from, hopefully in time I'll get accepted or just ignored.

Huh never had this kind of reaction myself. I either get completely ignored and left alone or have to bat talkative Thais of my back. Especially if they are drunk and have seen me on tv or something. Then I am their new best friend ...... . I am glad I am not really famous then I probably couldn't go relatively unnoticed anymore.

So Mahawithialai (something like that) Rangsit area hmmmm never gone there myself, but then again there are so many areas in BKK .... .

College/Uni students can be a dangerous group if you have a wife already. I am currently "helping" a couple of them with their English "homework" at my place. My number is doing the rounds at one Uni as a friendly Farang.

It took me 9 years in Thailand to figure out what "Teach me English in your place means" ..... As I hate teaching any language I always refused when girls/guys asked me to teach them English. A month ago I actually said yes for a change. The teaching was 5 minutes. She paid me back for a couple of hours and made it clear ... just friends ... hab boyfriend already ... I said great, me hab girlfriend already, but girlfriend wants to life alone for awhile ... . Since then she gave my number to some other students.

I now enjoy teaching English :) And when a girl asks me to teach English to her I just ask ... my place or a public place. I am just wondering what I missed in the last 9 years. And I never believed stories of other guys that it was this easy .... God I was stupid.

Waerth

Why don't you guys do as the Thais do. The elections are on only in Bangkok.

Not in Samut Prakan. Not in Nonthaburi and not in Pathum Thani. Where many places were packed tonight. Also I have seen quite a few places in Bangkok tonight that sold alcohol .... if they now you .... the ironic thing is I barely drink alcohol myself.

Alcohol is not particularly important to me either. And this is why I didn't head out of town. It's only one night and I am tired of the stuff (beer and whiskey) they generally serve in the go go bars, so one night where they can't serve alcohol in the local bars is not enough incentive for me to get out of town.

But I can see how this policy is bad for the local entertainment industry and a real annoyance for someone here on holiday. As to to what this policy is trying to accomplish, see next post.

After reading that observation I had to go downstairs and check on the soberity of the guards where we live, I confirm the same here.

It's true. I am much more likely to encounter an absolutely blind drunk Thai when the sale of alcohol is officially prohibited.

When the normal rules apply, the guards in our condo are, or at least seem to be, sober, and I generally encounter very few Thais who are out-of-control legless drunk. The story changes completely on days when drinking is banned.

What is the purpose of this rule? To prevent the use of alcohol to bribe voters? To make certain voters are sober when they vote?

On either count, it seems to have precisely the opposite effect. But I am sure it is quite effective in annoying tourists who are caught by surprise when every place in town (except for places the locals know) is dry.

Try the private unies and rachapats. That's where you'll find most of the "friendly" gals.

Ramkhamhaeng too ... lots of lonely gals from upcountry who are looking for a Farang "friend".

No need to go looking for them .... they are finding me. :smirk:

Waerth

It may just have been that time and place sort of thing but a bit unnerving. I plan on some more excursions in the area in the near future, will see what happens then.

This is a big uni campus on a housing estate just south west of the big future park shopping mall complex and a little north west of Don Muang airport. During school time you simply cannot move for black and white!

I might need to try your English teaching idea but will need a separate 'pad' to utilise for 'my place' :hubba:

I see that my original topic seems to have become hi-jacked, no worries I'm guilty of that myself on occasion and anyway prefer to call this sort torphing (topic morphing) as it could be equally if not more interesting overall.

Archived