Vietnam - Two Weeks or Three ??

gawguy

So I'm finally getting off my duff and going to have a look at some other countries around here. I want to go to Vietnam and, among other things, take the train from Hanoi to Saigon, getting off and on here and there.

I would like someone who has spent some time in VN to give me some pointers. Where should I spend the most time? How many days in Hanoi, how many in Saigon. How long to allow for the train and what side trips should I take? I want to go to ?? Bay - forget the name, but a couple of people have mentioned it. Is it along the train route?

Thanks a lot,

Gaw Guy

Times have certainly changed since my 2nd visit to Vietnam. That 2nd trip, quite a few years ago, I had obtained visa ahead of time.

Flew from Bangkok to Hanoi. At Hanoi, the 'general' at immigration would not let us enter country unless we 'joined' a tour group. We did, for about US $20.00 which included ride from airport to the tour group offices in Hanoi. Fill out some forms. Then ride to hotel. Never saw tour group again until ride back to airport.

We were not allowed to take the train as we were told by the tour guide that reservations needed two weeks in advance to get train from Hanoi to Da Nang.

I think that has all changed now.

Even that long time ago, capitalism was at it's best right there in Commie Hanoi. Many shops selling everything.

We stayed at a 'modern' Commie built hotel - 1970's era. All the staff of hotel slept on floor of restaurant. Got up real early one morning for walk - and scattered about the restaurant floor were about a dozen hotel staff sleeping.

Many sights in Hanoi. As with Phon Penh, Saigon, the French did a good job with street layout and architecture.

I liked Saigon, a week's enough there though. Even five years ago, no hassles with any Commie generals.

Go down to Vung Tao on the ferry which is a nice river cruise arriving in an interesting seaside town.

One of my deviate mates got picked up by a hooker on a motorbike leaving the ferry terminal and missed all the sights though.

Give the Cu Chi tunnels a miss, it's all fake.

A meal at ChinaTown is a must.

Mekong Delta cruise is nice.

When was this? I was there in 1991 and the tunnels didn't seem fake to me.

I was there with friend and we saw no other tourists. Nowadays I have heard that tourist come there in large numbers.

ALHOLK

There are the *real* tunnels and ones made wider for fat farangs to get through...the booby traps are all on display near the tunnels .

Once you finished there you can go a bit further along to the firing range and you can choose to fire from a range of weapons used in the war...

When was this? I was there in 1991 and the tunnels didn't seem fake to me.

I was there with friend and we saw no other tourists. Nowadays I have heard that tourist come there in large numbers.

ALHOLK

The tour guide told us that they'd all collapsed or been filled in. There was only one available and it was certainly dug for Western physiques.

Maybe there's other sites with original tunnels.

This is the most interesting thing I saw all day.

Pham Ngu Lao is sort of the Kao Sarn Rd. of Saigon, pretty much all the hotels and restaurants cater to tourists and many day tours originate there, especially from De Tham St. which runs off Pham Ngu Lao.

There are several alleys parallel to De Tham that have small hotels and attached bar/restaurants. I found that if you spent a bit of time in those establishments buying a few drinks and letting yourself be known, ladies would become available and were able to discretely visit your room at the adjacent hotel.

Which year was this? I was in Saigon 1991 and we were told that traveling around the country was allowed but required a permit from the police which was easy to get.

ALHOLK

South Vietnam is/was always different - more lax.

Not North Vietnam at the time.

All people were very friendly up north. Not many tourists back then.

Archived