PAD protests...

Mentors

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PAD vows to fight to bitter end

People's Alliance for Democracy leader Sondhi Limthongkul vowed to continue protesting to the bitter end and said today was a day of reckoning for the government.

"We will not retreat," he said in defiance of the anti-riot measures to disperse the crowds at Parliament.

Sondhi was speaking at the rally stage inside Government House.

He also urged workers of state enterprises to cut off water and electricity supplies at Parliament in a bid to prevent the policy debate from taking place.

Thousands of protesters arrived at Government House following the crackdown.

The Nation

http://nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/read.php?newsid=30085325

Cabinet members and lawmakers trapped inside Parliament

Anti-government protesters have locked the gate of Parliament trapping the prime minister, his Cabinet members and lawmakers.

Parliamentary officials are trying to coordinate with authorities in charge of Ananta Samakhom Palace to open a side gate to let lawmakers out. But authorities said they are politically neutral and do not want to get involved in the rifts.

The talks to use the side gate are still inconclusive after an hour.

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat has an appointment at 2.00 pm.

The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/read.php?newsid=30085350

now this is very dangerous, looks that the PAD Leaders finally will win and the army must step in again.

:thumbdown:

Thitinan Pongsudhirak, a political analyst at Bangkok's Chulalongkorn University, told AFP that the PAD were protesting against the democratic system in Thailand, raising the spectre of a prolonged crisis.

"This is the end of Thailand as we know it... and the PAD is the spearhead of this right-wing conservative reassertion. There's no quick end here," he said.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iCgANayg00RiF0InFc2jPo8AwfqA

THE NATION:

Clashes between the police and the Peopleâ??s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) protesters continued to Tuesday night in front of the Metropolitan Police Bureau and around the Equestrian Statue of King Rama V.

At around 10.20pm, the police once again fired tear gas at the demonstrators at the Equestrian Statue of King Rama V after they continued throwing water bottles at the officers.

Meanwhile, supporters of PAD from the northeastern province of Udon Thani entered Bangkok via two buses to reinforce the anti-government group at the protest sites.

Gas masks as well as self-protecting equipments [phasaa arai?] were also brought to the protesters.

After the bloodiest day of their campaign, PAD protesters regroup at Government House Tuesday night and are determined to fight on.

Anti-government protesters were largely solemn but determined inside Government House Tuesday night, joined by their allies who poured in from other provinces after the most violent day of their months-long campaign.

Scenes inside Government House were largely similar to those of other days, reflecting the mostly non-aggressive nature of the campaign and contradicting what happened earlier on Tuesday that left at least two deaths and hundreds of injuries.

Key leaders of PAD took the stage between 10.30pm and midnight. They included Somsak Kosaisuk, Somkiat Wongpaiboon and Suriyasai Katasila.

Hundreds of protesters from the southern provinces Sonkhla and Ranong gradually arrived at the Government House to the loud cheers of those inside. The new arrivals helped cram the compound and ease fears of ambush by police.

Suriyasai told the crowd that he believed that the government's use of violence would certainly affect Thaksin Shinawatra's request for seeking a refugee status in the United Kingdom.

"Britain is a true democracy and they won't just gather information from his (Thaksin) side alone. The (British) embassy certainly did a lot of work today and they have the human rights department and they would know exactly what the puppet government of Thaksin did to the protesters," he said.

Suriyasai added the British government would surely hear the international community's criticism against the Thai government's use of violence. "All international media agree that the government overreacted in dispersing the protesters," he said.

The PAD's current strategy, according to the key leaders, is to hold their two main rally grounds _ inside the Government House and around the Makkawan Rangsan Bridge.

"We've heard a lot of rumours on the possible attack and we think it is more important to station here (inside Government House). We can march to Parliament any time but we do have to stay here because here is the symbol of government," said Suriyasai.

He asked the demonstrators to listen to each unit's leader and stay disciplined.

He said the resignation of Gen Chavalit Yongchaiyuth brings a major change into politics. "Unlike Banharn (Silapaarach) or Sanoh Thienthong, Big Jew (Chavalit) is the man who is not a businessman-turned-politician. He quitted the top army post to enter politics so we must give him some credit."

Gen Chavalit's resignation signals the end of government for three reasons, he said. "First, they won't have anyone to handle the problem in the Southern provinces. Secondly, since he is the main person to hold talk for reconciliation, his departure means no more talk between us and the government. Thirdly, there is no link now to Gen Prem Tinlasulanonda if he is meant to be that link."

Suriyasai led the mob to give big hands to Gen Chavalit for "choosing the people's side rather than holding onto power."

He also asked the protesters to keep their eyes on the moves of the Democrat Party. "They are led by new generation of leaders and I think they would come out with something really good in no time. I'd like you all to give big hands to Khun Abhisit Vejjajiva in advance."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/10/08/headlines/headlines_30085455.php

Bangkok Post

8 Oct 2008

Brink of anarchy

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat rejected calls for his resignation and a House dissolution in the wake of violent clashes between police and supporters of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) on Tuesday.

Deputy Prime Minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh has already quit.

Fearing more violence, PAD leading member Samran Rodpetch urged demonstrators gathered at parliament to return to Government House and nearby, including the Royal Plaza, as night fell.

PAD has occupied Government House since Aug 26.

The anti-government group was also worried by the decision by the armed forces to send troops to safeguard certain key places after a request by police.

Army spokesman Col Sansern Kaewkumnerd said six companies of the Army, and two each from the Marines and Air Force, were being used for the mission.

About 30 more companies were on standby in case of an emergency, he added.

[color:red]"The army is concerned about the incident. Demonstrators who did not carry weapons did not deserve to be harmed," Col Sansern said.[/color]

Despite the violent confrontation, Army chief Gen Anupong Paojinda said soldiers would not interfere.

"I can confirm that the Army remains strictly neutral," he said.

Her Majesty the Queen was also worried about the bloodshed and ordered doctors and nurses to do their best to help the victims.

The chaos yesterday forced Somchai and some cabinet members to use the Supreme Command as their operations centre.

It was there that Somchai announced he would neither resign nor dissolve the House.

"As long as I am still on duty, I will not delay my work. I will try my best to carry out my duty," he said in response to calls, led by the PAD and academics, for him to step down.

"I will make a decision [on whether to resign or dissolve the House] at an appropriate time," he added.

But Somchai ruled out an emergency decree to hand control of the situation to the military.

The duty of maintaining security remains with the police, he added.

An Army source said the Army chief strongly disagreed with the emergency decree proposed in an urgent cabinet meeting at Don Muang airport.

The meeting was called by the Prime Minister after demonstrators gathered at parliament to block the government from making its policy statement.

According to the source, Gen Anupong said the police should be in charge of keeping the situation under control.

"Gen Anupong is concerned that this could be a plot by certain people who want to draw the military into the situation to stage a coup," the source said.

Somchai defended police action in breaking up the PAD rally because they had received information that certain people planned to break into parliament.

Despite insisting on remaining in power, Somchai's cabinet faced a problem when Gen Chavalit announcing his resignation after police fired tear gas to disperse the protesters.

Gen Chavalit, who did not attend the House meeting yesterday, tendered his letter of resignation through his aide.

In his resignation letter, Gen Chavalit, who was in charge of national security, explained he was stepping down because the plan to clear the way for parliament to convene yesterday was a failure.

He said he had impressed upon police the importance of carrying out their operations without inflicting harm on the protesters, but police failed to follow his instructions.

"I consider that I am partly to blame for the damage. I have decided to accept responsibility by resigning as deputy prime minister," Gen Chavalit wrote.

Archived