Koh Chang

samak

for thai- and seafood i like the smaller, openair (with just a roof), family run restaurants. unfortunately in tourist areas, there are less and less of those, replaced by hotel food, lousy restaurants with "international" food etc.

here a couple of recommendations from last week's visit. all offer fresh seafood, prices for a whole fish from 180-300 THB, whole sea crab (dark color) 250-300 THB etc.

Ruan Thai in Bang Bao; much better and cheaper than Chaolay next door

Ruan Thalay on the hill between White Sand Beach and Khlong Prao; that was the best one, hardly any foreigners there

J.E. Restaurant, at main street between Klong Prao and Kai Bae, popular among Thai tourists

Hua Pla Mor Fai Restaurant (Fishhead Hot Pot) at main road before entering Kai Bae

Friends (phuan) in Kai Bae. this restaurant i know for several years. as it is in the middle of Kai Bae Beach, it draws a lot of foreign tourists. So prices has gone up and quality and service down. but still better than the hotel restaurants and the ones with lousy farang food in the area.

In Kai Bae I used to eat a lot in one open air seafood restaurant. Just can't remember the name, on the right hand side when coming from White Sand Beach, they have big tv screen in the covered area and bamboo tables outside. 30 baht Phad Khra Pao and very affordable seafood, much better than in the hotel restaurants. Interesting to see that place when I go the next time in December. I'm quite sure they have put their prices up cause most of the restaurants nearby charge triple prices for much lousier food.

• 3 months later...

some update from my stay during chinese new year holiday week:

Bangbao: Breeze Seafood; opened not long ago; excellent seafood; try poo thaley (sea crab) op wun sen; many other fresh dishes as well. they even went shopping for some stuff that we wanted in addition to the menu; best experience this time!

Ruan Thalay on the hill between White Sand Beach and Khlong Prao; changed owner. not as good anymore but still ok

J.E. Restaurant, Klong Prao: most popular place among thai tourists during chinese new year week; very good!

Hua Pla Mor Fai Restaurant (Fishhead Hot Pot) at main road before entering Kai Bae; underrated, not many customers but very good quality

One Euro restaurant (thai name: Tee Noy), Khlong Phrao: very good Isaan stuff, excellent grilled chicken if you want a change to the seafood

Sassi in Amari Emerald Cove, Khlong Phrao: for a change: very good italian food at moderate prices

during High Season, Kai Bae has a lot of seafood restaurants with showcase, which are closed or operate differently during low season. you have to check out the food in the showcases and ask for the prices! pretty good, though not perfect was Morgan, Ploy was average, pretty lousy Rock Sugar, the huge place with life band

Archived