HOW MUCH HAVE YOU LOST?

frede

....with reagards to Munchies claim that I watch the financial markets all day, that is bollocks. I read the Financial Times over breakfast in the morning and I may sometimes have CNBC on when I am working but I don't sit there watching all day, far from it.

:liar::liar::liar::rotl::rotl::rotl:

Actually I shouldn't laugh, Teddy is actually telling the truth, he only watches the financial markets when there is no cricket on.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think you really read what I said. I said "it doesn't work for me" yet you jumped immediately based on your own personal experience of having a financial advisor working on commission?

Maybe one has a financial advisor who works on total porfolio value rather than commissions?

I keep my portfolio really simple bonds 75% in a trust I created and blue chip stocks paying dividends 25% making up my retirement accounts. Why should I bother trying to make a few thousand extra here and there when I could be doing other things instead of buying and selling and giving headaches to my accountant..

I guess the question to you is how much is enough? Can one not reach a financial point where one's porfolio is relatively safe and not worry about trying to make an extra buck vs a needed buck?

should I prioritize my time on trying to make more money? Just not my purpose in life. Put it another way for you..My stock value could go to zero and wouldn't effect my daily cash flow at least today..That is my take on the stock market. I call it play money and my objective is just to grow over a long time period of time (meaning many years) and ride out flucuations and dives.

Every investor will have different objectives based on risk/reward, how much capital they have, age, health, other investments and vocational income, current and projected expenses, and on and on..

I carefully constructed by answer saying "timing doesn't work for me" because it not a priority but you answered in generalizations which might or might not meet the needs of other individual investors. You applied a general strategy/belief meeting your needs and assuming everyone's portfolio is the same..I think that is a mistake in your response..

I stand by my average Joe remarks. Maybe a better answer on your part would have been "hey but I'm mot your average Joe and timing works for me"...

CB

I would guess almost of have taken losses. The difference will be in percentages..

Teddy make a comment that he saw it coming based on the bank collapse and he was probably right. Some probably did pull market monies but most got hit at various degress...

As to recovery (at market securities), it sure has been a nice six months run or so. Is it sustainable and an indication or the economy? Who in the hell knows? We will hear from both sides six months from now saying yes, I timed the market and won" and others saying Oh, it's too high to get back in now? In ten fifteen years from now not sure if it makes much of a different if one was in the market from a historical perspective meaning a lifelong investor..

Just another big bump in the road to riches...

CB

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't lost anything, I made money. Went into all cash in April 2008 after Bear Stearns collapsed and watched Wall St go through an unbelievable bloody massacre. Kept my head low, survived all the layoffs, went back into stocks near their lows and did very well.

Did i know it was going to get bad, nope, I just didn't feel good about the mkt and didn't want to lose what little money i had.

Did I know the mkts would rally so hard after the lows? nope, I was completely clueless about direction but felt most of the downside was priced in after the hedgies had to sell securities and raise cash.

I got LUCKY.

Currently I'm on the fence looking to go back into cash between October and November. The minute I sniff a sell-off I'm pressing the sell button.

Archived