Bourbon St Oyster Bar

We all know about Bourbon Street, but here's a (kinda) new thing: they have fresh imported oysters now. They have four types: Virginica, Calm Cove, Kumamoto and one other (sorry, I forget the name).

Prices are OK, considering these are flown in from the States. Calm Cove is B600/dzn, forgot-name is B900/dzn, and the Virginica & Kumamoto are B1200/dzn. A sampler plate of one each is B350. There are also cooked oysters, but we did not try those. They are served with cocktail sauce, Thai nam chim, lemon wedge, deep fried onion strings and saltine crackers.

We've been there three times this week, cuz Ms Vampirella fell in love with the raw oysters ("honneeee, let's go get some hoy sushi!"). All three days the oysters were fresh and excellent.

A sample meal/price would be: two sampler plates to honestly assess which of the four were best (we put it at Virginica, Kumamoto, Calm Cove and forgot-name), two mains (one Thai, one Cajun), a dozen Virginicas and some beers plus a Bananas Foster dessert (another Vampy fav) -- B2577 with my 10% discount. Not exactly cheap, but a good value to us.

We went to Klong Toey market and tried some fresh Thai oysters at home. Very disappointing, so much so we cooked them instead. The imported cold water ones are far superior raw.

Highly recommended.

Cheers,

SD

Saw this last time I was down SD. Not cheap as you say, but I do love a good raw oyster now and then. Thanks for the recco. Will give them a try next time. I've done the Thai oysters many times at different venues, both the small and the large ones. Liked the large ones, but in fact they were a bit too big. The small ones chilled are fine if fresh and not that expensive really.

Someone was talking to me about this imported oyster business recently. I hear in Japan it is really big now. There seems to be a good market there for this. I wonder if it will grow in Thailand among the Thais with some dosh.

• 3 weeks later...

Thais LOVE oysters! I have rarely seen a country where they are so popular. Especially the big ones - in Aus people like the small ones - here they love the big ones - raw - with some chopped fried onion, green sauce and some other veggie.

CTO,

Well, in Pattaya I have had the local small oysters more than a few times at the many seafood restaurants on the beaches and they were great. The locals were eating them with relish, and with the side condiments mentioned earlier. I love them. I've had the Thai large oysters as well, and I enjoy the mussels too when I get the chance. I do only eat these at the seashore places, as I tend to think there could be problems with transport/freshness inland. :smirk: Hey, I've seen some dodgy food quality practices over the years here, and I'm not keen on a case of shellfish poisoning. 5555!

But yeah, the Thais love seafood and oysters are a favorite of theirs from my experiences as well.

Cent

Archived