Ruen Mallika

Ruen Mallika, Royal Thai Cuisine. Here's a hidden gem. Hard to find, but worth it. Looks like nothing from the outside, but it opens up into a nice garden setting (two stories) plus a small air-con area. Outside is best -- very romantic.

The staff are very attentive (tho' the manager is a bit of a bitch, says Ms Vampirella) and dressed nicely in traditional That outfits.

Awesome menu. It must weigh two kilos LOL! Nice large pictures, Thai and English descriptions, plus an analysis of the herbs used and how they affect your health.

Food is great, well presented, very fresh and tasty.

Our latest dinner was with Mom-Vampy, Ms Vampy & myself. We had five mains, including a whole fish and some ostrich (those two almost B1k right there), a couple of sides, rice, 3-4 fruit shakes and three beers for moi. Cost was B2300 w/tip.

Good value for the quality and ambiance. And you could get out much cheaper without going for the exotic stuff.

Location map:

1223553317-ruenmallika.jpg

Has a small car park.

Highly recommended.

Cheers,

SD

i have brought several times foreign guests there since it opened a couple of years ago. the setting and ambience is great, better than in the other high end Thai restaurants on Sukhumvit like Baan Khanita, Rosabiang, Lemon Grass etc. food is certainly very carefully prepared and your guests will like it! for me spices are a bit too much toned down like in other thai restaurants with a lot of foreign guests.

you were the only Farang? that surprises me! not exceptional some 5+ years ago when it just opened but recently it's not a secret anymore for many farangs!

well, i certainly do not expect any Isaan food at those places. however the term "Royal Thai Cuisine" makes me a bit suspicious, because it is often used to justify high prices and has nothing to do with the way spices are used. Ruen Mallika by the way did not use this term in the beginning and prices were more moderate back then. anyway spices in thai food are very much a matter of personal taste and preferences and of course also what you are used to.

Well, only farang within eye-shot and certainly the only one at our table. :grinyes:

As you know, "royal" is a method of cooking and recipes (Central Thai food), but I understand your point about the terminology.

I generally eat spicer food than my (usually Chinese) dates...

Cheers,

SD

Archived