Are you certifiable?

Brink15

Any of our resident sanukers who either don't have a diving certification or are already certified but want to go to the next level, this is your place to post questions.

What does it cost?

What is involved?

How long does it take?

Ask away.

I'm no longer teaching, after 10 years of starving while having fun, but I have lots of contacts and experience.

Hey Brink,

I will be in Thailand for a month..how long would it take to get certified if I headed donw to pattaya for a few days?

thanks

G

G,

Most classes in Thailand run about 4 days. Usually its classroom in the morning and pool or beach training in the afternoon, the first two days. Then two days of open water dives, basically going on a boat and doing fun dives with some skills included.

You will see classes offered that take only 3 days, but that is really pushing it.

If you've got a month, do yourself a favor and do the normal 4 day class.

Its helpful, if you have a diveshop back home, to purchase a student manual ahead of time. Make sure its a PADI manual as this will likely be the course you'll be taking. This gives you two major benefits.

1) Classes in Thailand do not normaly included a book you can keep as a reference. They are loaned to you.

2) You can get the reading done ahead of time, which means you'll get a lot more out of the class. You'll be way ahead of anyone else taking the course with you.

Those four days, don't plan on much other activity. You'll be pretty beat.

If you have the time, and you are in the area, check out Phuket. Some of the best diving in Thailand can be done on a day trip.

Some good lookers in Patong too.

Most of all, have a blast.

If you have any other questions let me know.

I just completed a three day course last month in Pattaya. Actually, it was in Jomtien beach, but they picked me up in Pattaya each morning.

One day in the pool, followed by two days of open water dives; video and course work in the evening. They were good 12 hour days, starting a 8:00 AM... but I still found the energy to hit the bars at night!

There are several outfits to choose from, I went with Mermaid dive school, the instructor was Russell... highly recommended.

POTP,

Mermaids great, one of the shops in Pattaya I recommend. It was started by Rick Ray, a PADI course director - the highest instructor rating. Rick is now one of the regional managers for PADI Asia/Pacific.

I'm still not crazy about the three day class because it just doesn't give you enough time in the water. But, then again I was used to teaching three week classes in the fridged Northeast of the US.

I'm glad the class worked out for you and that you enjoyed it.

Keep diving and keep your skills up.

Brink,

THanks for the update..I was thinking of doing it in Pattaya..I am planning on being in Phuket for 6 days but I will be doing a wakeboarding camp during the day and RAGING!!!! at nite..but since you mention the waters down there...I may take a day to check it out!!...

Thanks again

G

Archived