We Need More Introductions - Welcome !

unit731

Seriously, we need new members to post here.

We all should treat them with dignity and respect.

We were all new once.

All of us had a first trip to Thailand. And most of us stumbled.

With this forum we can honestly help new members and those new to the delights of Thailand.

We certainly don't want this forum to turn into a board made up of graying old men.

We need new and younger members.

Welcome all new members. Make a post. Say hello. Most on this board are great human beings. I have met a few, and trust me, they are angels in person.

Welcome, welcome, welcome !

• 2 weeks later...

Sawatdee Kap and Howâ??s it going?

Hey everyone. For the purpose of this board, please call me Bangmykok. I shall reserve my true name until I meet you individually. Iâ??m very happy to be a part of this forum and am looking forward to some good discussions.

I used to be an â??old handâ? (does anybody use that term anymore?), having lived and worked in Bangkok for 3 months as an exchange student at Chulalongkorn University in 1992, worked for a Silapakorn University (in Nakhom Pathom) in 1994 and worked at several places including Chulalongkorn University and a few language schools and started my own business from 1996 through 2000. I also ordained as a monk for 3 months. I also used to â??bpai tiaoâ? a lot (everything from the standard farang fair of go-gos and massage parlors to the shipyards in Klong Toey and the brothels in Chinatown) before ordaining and getting married to a Thai lawyer. She was a rare and true find. She is smart, an original thinker (I know rare in Thailand), funny, and pretty. Still, I am a man, influenced by Thai culture, and as suchâ?¦

In 2000 I returned to the US because I was not making the kind of salary I could save money on for retirement (i.e. I worked for Thai wages â?? good Thai wages, but Thai nonetheless). So, here I am stuck in the land of boring ass Farangs who consider a good time going out for a couple of beers or going home and watching TV. I have a good job, a loving family (we have a 2 year old daughter now), a nice house and car, and several close friends. Yet, everyday, for the last 4 years my heart has yearned to return to the Kingdom. Sure, the misses and I return to Thailand once a year (usually January) to visit her family, our old haunts, and â??our spotâ? in Hua Hin. Sometimes, I can get together with some old friends who are still living in Thailand without her, but it is hard and rare. If I could get a job paying real wages in Thailand, I would leave and be there in a heartbeat.

So, what do I want from this board? Well, I guess I want to live vicariously through all your exploits. I also want to get an update on what the current scene is in Thailand (and the â??sanuk scene is in Bkk). When I left living there, the couples bars my wife and I used to go to were like the Saxophone near the Victory Monument and a series of bars behind Sunam Luang. In terms of single man sanuk, Nana was the place to go as Patpong was for tourists and a rip-off, and Cowboy was too slow. Thermeâ?? was great as I could just walk in and several girls would recognize me (I was always very Jai Dee and respected all the girls). The Angle Disco at Nana and the German Beer Bar on Soi 7 were also good spots to pick up freelancers. I didnâ??t know what a bar fine was as since having learned to speak Thai in my 2nd year living in Thailand, I refused to pay, choosing instead to what until the bar closing and negotiating with the girl directly. I could usually get a ST for 500-800 and a LT for 1000 to 1500. But Iâ??m sure all that has changed now. So, what is it like?

So, what can I offer this board? Well, I can help reminisce about the old times. Also, my wife IS a Thai lawyer and now she has both a translation business and an immigration consulting business so if any of you need quick advice I can bring it to you. (If you need more than quick advice I can put in contact with her). Finally, I still have a keen insight and understanding of Thai culture, language, politics, etc.

Again, Iâ??m very happy to be a part of this forum and am looking forward to some good discussions.

Sawatdee Kap

Archived