Please Leave! Would you?

JayT

[color:brown]Spain tries to buy out immigrants[/color]

As economy sours, jobless are offered payments to leave.

By Christine Spolar Tribune correspondent

MADRID â?? Spain once wooed and wanted immigrants.

Over the last decade, the booming economy sought poor foreigners to come and harvest its bounty of grapes, avocados and oranges. It welcomed waves of Latin Americans, Moroccans and Romanians to build fancy resorts along its sunny coast. Immigrants were absorbed into Spain's economic landscape, and their presence often was touted as a symbol of this European country's vision and tolerance.

Not anymore.

As the economy has downshifted and soured, so has Spain's attitude toward foreign workers. Talk of what to do about Immigration has turned politically perilous, according to migration analysts and advocates, with a new initiative from the left-wing government of Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero encouraging legal immigrants to pull up stakes.

Since late September, the government has been offering lump-sum payoutsâ??up to two years of unemployment benefitsâ??for jobless migrants to leave. The average annual salary in Spain is about $31,000.

Spain is fighting off a recession, a surprise turn for what had been a star economy, and both legal and illegal immigrants are suddenly targets in uncertain times.

Spain's tactic also is seen as a signal flare across Europe: Facing severe economic difficulties, troubled governments everywhere are hunkering down to protect their own.

[color:brown]Those who grab the money must stay outside of Spain for three years.[/color]

Link

[color:brown]So would you?[/color] If they gave you $62,000 to leave the country, would you take off to LOS for three years to cool your heels?

I tried the trick but got the answer that as I am better paid than +90% of the Spanish population I don't have to leave.... :neener:

This said I admit there is a big problem in Spain as they were far too open to immigration without thinking it over especially on the long term.

May we fly to Spain and apply? I could use a couple of million baht. :hmmm:

Yeah really! I pick fruit off the trees in my back yard, so I'm qualified. :nahnah:

Sixty-two grand isn't chicken feed even in today's inflated, bloated global economy.

For a single man with no responsibilities this could be a ticket to explore the world at a real human level.

Archived