Tuk Tuk drivers = Criminals

clubsiam

Do you think anybody has seen this sign?

Also the palace has several entrances which are closed and with scammers in a official looking uniform in front. In any other country people would show you the way to the main entrance of its national symbol, except in LOS.

Albeit one might question Clubsiam's motives in his crusade against scammers, this does not mean that the scams arent as worse as CS says.

Since there are so many scammers I presume dozens (hundreds?) of tourists fall for it every day at Thailand's most famous tourist destination.

To see unwillingness of the Thai authorities to deal with this matter is really a disgrace for the country and a highly visible sign of the corruption in LOS.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been to the Grand Palace 3 times and I have never seen that plaque. Is it somewhere inside the palace grounds?

You arrive at the pier and it is far from clear where the main entrance is located. I haven't seen any signs that direct you to the main entrance from the pier. But there are several layers of scammers you have to pass that are ready to misdirect tourists.

This is the Tourist mafia Group at the Erawan Shrine.

They are doing the same thing at the grand Palace and every tourist site in town.

Thousands of Thai Scam Victims have been making reports on the internet forums.

More information below link will take you to various Thai Scam sites:

SILOM RD TOURIST MAFIA

www.flickr.com/photos/29324583@N05/2775978801/

ERAWAN SHRINE TOURIST MAFIA:

www.flickr.com/photos/21533131@N06/

SINGAPOREANS AGAINST THE THAI GEM SCAM:

thaigemscam.wordpress.com/

WIKIPEDIA;

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_gem_scam

GEM SCAM GROUP:

www.geocities.com/thaigemscamgroup/

INTO ASIA :

www.into-asia.com/bangkok/gemscam/

2BANGKOK:

www.2bangkok.com/2bangkok/Scams/Sapphire.shtml

BANGKOK SCAMS COM:

www.bangkokscams.com/

Scam Discussion:

www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=676476&page=5

Scam, scam, scam, scam,

scam, scam, scam, scam ...

Actually, the scammers are much worse than in the past. I used to work at the University of Fine Arts, which is just opposite the GP. I walked past the GP every day and I never saw them anywhere as numerous as they are now. Same with the vendors. Maybe it has something to do with the growth of Khaosarn Road?

Scam, scam, scam, scam,

scam, scam, scam, scam ...

Actually, the scammers are much worse than in the past. I used to work at the University of Fine Arts, which is just opposite the GP. I walked past the GP every day and I never saw them anywhere as numerous as they are now. Same with the vendors. Maybe it has something to do with the growth of Khaosarn Road?

The scammers are untouchable and have Police protection.

The Tourist Police are in on it, the Palace Security Guards are in on it and the Palace managenent too.

This scene is repeated at all of the tourist sites, BTS/MRT stops, Shopping Centers, Shrines, Airport..EVERYWHERE.

I predict a significant rise in crime against foreigners too.

GRAND PALACE TOURIST MAFIA PHOTOS:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29324583@N05/

ERAWAN SHRINE TOURIST MAFIA PHOTOS:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21533131@N06/

SILOM RD TOURIST MAFIA:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29324583@N05/2914066779/

I don't know why people are dumping on ClubSiam. Everybody knew this before their first visit and are sure that every other newbie tourist knows it too?

He sees it, he calls it as he sees it. And a number of posters and many websites agree with what he's saying. So what if he is so vehement about it? Maybe he's been scammed/attempted scam so many times he was just pushed over the limit.

Who cares his motives? Maybe he wants to expose this enough that LoS is hurt by the knowledge of this being in the wild and well-known and hoping that it might get fixed. Google picks up the latest post, potential tourist Googles "Grand Palace" and sees this shit and the associated links.

I'd love to see more personal vendettas like this this- the double-pricing (Oceanworld at Siam now), the baht bus scum is Pattaya, the beach chair scum everywhere in Thailand, the taxi assholes in Phuket, the late night Silom/Patpong taxi mafia etc. etc. If someone can help get these fuckers in line, more power to him. If not, no skin off your nose.

I've always considered the tuk-tuk "scammers' to be rather harmless, based on my limited experience with them.

On my second visit, one approached me on Sukhumvit and offered to show me around BKK for free. I had heard about the tuk-tuk tour but decided to investigate it for myself and took him up on his offer.

The driver appeared to be about 22 or 23 years old, was very friendly, and wore a perpetual smile. He spoke English well enough that we shared a few laughs along the way.

His first request was to ask me if it was ok to stop at an Indian tailor's shop. He explained that he would receive oil credits for bringing me there. No problem. I took a look inside, as I had never been in one before, and five minutes later I thanked the mannered Indian for his time and continued my neighborhood tour. (The driver even showed me the oil chits he received to be redeemed later).

Our next stop was at a small Buddhist temple off a tiny street somewhere. (Couldn't find it again if you paid me). I went inside and there was a shrine behind a railing that I examined for a few moments when I was approached by a smiling east Asian man peddling watches and jewelry. He did his best to be persuasive, but since I was able to show him that I already had a watch, and didn't wear chains, wasn't married, and currently celibate, he humbly made his exit.

Later on the tuk-tuk driver dropped me off, safe and sound, and true to his word didn't ask for a baht. It wasn't a short trip and I actually enjoyed getting off the main boulevards and being chauffeured through some of the lesser seen areas of town, so I slipped him a 50-baht note as I said goodbye.

Archived