Gooner Corner

frogpatrol

At long last, after what looked like a desperate drive down a road to nowhere, the Gunners have started to make things happen in the off-season.

Sol will bring power and strength to the rear guard. He should complement Cole's pace, and the stability of Adams, Keown, and/or Dixon.

In the midfield, Viera will hopefully stay, while maybe the Gunners could add someone to play alongside him.

Henry will then return satisfied and (semi)rested from his days/months in Pattaya, and with someone like Nakata to service him, the Gunners could be dangerous. Lastly, if the Gunners could just get a finisher a la Ian Rush/Gary Lineker, then this could be the year.

In sum, still lots of "ifs," but optmism is starting to return to Highbury.

froggo aka BKKGooner

[ July 04, 2001: Message edited by: frogpatrol ]

[ July 04, 2001: Message edited by: frogpatrol ]

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: frogpatrol ]

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeffers, in my opinion, is one of the best young strikers in the Premiership. He has been a prolific scorer at all levels, and his partnership with Kevin Campbell was fun to watch.

Now to some comments about Sol/jeffers, etc. by Dennis Berkamp, "I'm overjoyed at the new news that we've signed Sol Campbell. I'd rate Campbell as one of the top three players I've ever played against. When you consider that I've played for Ajax, Inter Milan and Arsenal and in World Cups and European Championships, that tells you how highly I think of him.

It's phenomenal for us at Arsenal that we've signed him. Think about it, next season we could have a situation where we can leave Tony Adams or Martin Keown on the bench at times. That would have been unthinkable in the past. When you look at the signing of Francis Jeffers, we won't just have a frightening team next season, we'll have a terrifying bench! This is important, a lot of managers have admitted being out-psyched by looking at Manchester United's bench in the past.

Speaking of United, I think the best way of explaining the difference Sol's arrival makes for us is by looking at our 6-1 defeat at Old Trafford last season. That happened because when we lost players of the calibre of Tony Adams and Martin Keown, we didn't have equivalent players to come in for them.

That led to problems for us in many games last year. I can't blame the players that came in for Tony and Martin because they did their best, but we needed something more. Now we have something more, and Manchester United won't have things their way now."

From Dennis no less!

froggo

Wenger seems fairly confident about Viera, but like you, I am nervous about that one...

Refreshing to find a fellow Gooner in LOS. I run into an Arsenal fan about once a year here, as contrasted to Man U and Liverpool supporters who are around every corner.

froggo

With or without Sol Campbell - you won't finish above Man U next season, but I have to admit that I would have liked him at Old Trafford.

Colonel - a tattoo thread - may not be a bad development, really.

Phil - recent history is on your side, but if the Gunners can solidify their defense and tweak some things up front, they may well challenge. I guess the way I look at it is that if the unknowns come through for the Gunners and if Man U stays basically at the same level, then it will be a tight race.

Time will tell....

froggo

I think this will be the season when Ole Gunnar Solksjaer really breaks into the limelight. I can't say Fergie sticking with Yorkie because he can't sort his shagging schedule out, and Sheringham's gone to the Yids. I'm not totally convinced about Van Nistelrooy and I really don't want the team filled with Argentinian prima donnas.

Watch out for a partnership between Coley and Ole.

Taken from Soccernet. I didn't think Spurs fans had it in them.

Sometimes, I am simply amazed at the senseless aggression of football fans. This week I have been horrified.

Sol: Turned his back on Spurs

(GaryMPrior/Allsport)

I know Sol Campbell has committed one of the most monstrous offences in the sport by signing for Arsenal from Tottenham but, for God's sake, get a grip. Does he deserve to have an effigy of himself hanging from a noose outside White Hart Lane?

Just what is that supposed to achieve? How does a fully-grown man turn to his son and explain the logic behind that sort of action?

It is totally and utterly unjustifiable and sadly typical of the emotionally stunted individuals who love their club more than they could ever love an individual and whose only other strong passion is an all-consuming hatred for a rival club.

The statement from the Tottenham Hotspur Supporters' Trust was scarcely credible, sounding more like a missive from a jilted lover than a comment on a football transfer: 'It is clear his previous protestations of love for Tottenham and respect for the fans were nothing more than the hollow words of a man too cowardly to tell the truth.'

Well, you would have thought that Campbell had slept with their wives and murdered their children rather than come to a controversial business decision about where he wants to play football.

It is not that I do not understand the strength of passion - I do, but it is just so misdirected. If all that energy was expended in a positive way, not vomited out in hatred, supporting a football club would be the most constructive social activity in the country.

Archived