Gooner Corner

frogpatrol

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Abbot and Colonel,

Wondering if either of you have had the opportunity to view the youth team at all? Are there any exciting prospects coming up through the ranks?

Colonel,

New away shirts - given our away from Highbury form last season, they cannot hurt.

Abbot,

I think the team had a few too many Singhas in Pat Pong the night before their match against Thailand. Hopefully, you did too.

Chocco,

A third good source of info is soccernet.com. News on our latest signing (below) comes from there.

froggo

from Soccernet:

Inamoto looks set to join Arsenal

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is looking to tie up a £4million deal to bring Japan's Junichi Inamoto to the club.

The 21-year-old midfielder impressed Wenger when the Frenchman was in Japan last month working as a television analyst during the Confederations Cup.

Wenger said: 'We are very close to agreeing a deal with J League club Gamba Osaka to sign Inamoto. He has been a target for some time. We had a very good squad last year but were short in some areas and I'm very confident the players we've signed will strengthen it.'

Inamoto, whose goal against Yugoslavia this week sealed the Kirin Cup for Japan, said: 'If I get the chance to play for Arsenal I'll be delighted and we are working out the final details.'

Wenger, who yesterday completed the signing of goalkeeper Richard Wright and agreed extensions for Lee Dixon and David Seaman, has already spent £25m this summer.

Not seen any of the young lads but hear good things about Pennant, Halls, Noble.

Signing a Jap would be a good marketing idea. It would also mean a trip to Roppongi would be in order. What fanny magnets we'll be in the home shirts. BKK Gooners Tour Tokyo!!!

Abbot,

May I be the first to join you on the Roppongi tour...brilliant idea!

You are absolutely correct - the Japanese midfielder will bring overseas support and revenues to the club that will far surpass the signing fee.

I wonder, how will the Japanese pronounce Arsenal...Alserner?

Halcyon days at Highbury. Optimism abounds.

froggo

• 2 weeks later...

I was lucky enough to meet Pat Vieira and Sol Campbell over the weekend at a Nike event in London. I had a conversation with Patrick and he said he would be staying at Arsenal.

Manninger was great in the double season, but his confidence has gone since then and he's turned into a flapper. Wright is the man to take over from Seaman.

Campbell is a great addition and he will only improve next season, he can learn a lot from TA and Le Boss. The one area that Campbell really needs to work on is his passing.

Van Bronkhurst was really highly rated in Scotland and I've heard several people say that if we'd signed him from a Premiership team we'd have paid $25 million for him.

Jeffers has real potential and is "the fox in the box" we've heard AW talk about. A friend from Liverpool said that he was the best striker on Merseyside!

Inamoto I know nothing about, but I trust Wengers judgement and he'd been watching him for 2 years before buying him.

Parlour will not be leaving, I think he will play right back next season.

Man Utd will not have it all their way this season, Arsenal have added the quality to compete with them. They have made 2 good signings, but Vieira had Veron in his pocket when Arsenal played Lazio last season! laugh.gif" border="0

Nickyboy

I've spoken with a Celtic m8, he said the best signing is going to be Van Bronckhorst. Coming from a Celt...

There's going to have to be some departures. Here's hoping Luzhny, Grimandi...

5 new signings, and no significant losses - I echo Nickyboy's optimism.

A.T. : Here is to Grimandi finding his fortune with another club! He was embarassed and outclassed in Europe last year.

That said, I have heard that he is well-liked by many of the French (Viera, in particular), so I wonder about his hidden value there.

I see that Inamoto, however you spell that, has signed.

froggo

Archived