Gooner Corner

frogpatrol

what i was saying was that Chelsea took the same advantage a while back and now they(well the manager)is moaning when it happens against them.

i saw a very in-depth discussion about the incident and read many words from ex-refs.

everyone including Poll agreed that the indication for a quick free-kick is for the Ref to start walking backwards leaving the kicker to play the ball.

but Henry took the kick as soon as Poll started to walk away.

the Ref is under no obligation to tell the defending Team that a quick free-kick is about to occur.

the interesting thing were the actions of Gudjohnson.

he was with Poll and Henry and as soon as he realised the kick was going to be taken quickly he turned around and tried to warn the Goalie,but no luck........

fairness of the game?......come on.

when the Players start to behave themselves and stop diving all over the place or trying to get opponents sent off then perhaps the game we both love will improve.

a lot of Players take the fairness out of the game..... :cussing:

and Poll is well known for his friendliness with the top Players and top Teams.

it has been mentioned many times and a lot of lesser Teams feel aggrieved when he is Ref.

and he thinks he's a pretty boy....... :yikes:

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zaad,

Have to disagree on this, not just because I'm an Arsenal fan :liar:

Henry used to situation to it's fullest advantage, if the opposing team isn't up to that, their fault, not Henry's. Rather another :tophat: side of his brilliance being able to read and decide the game so quickly. :spin:

:wave:

limbo said:

Zaad,

Have to disagree on this, not just because I'm an Arsenal fan :liar:

Henry used to situation to it's fullest advantage, if the opposing team isn't up to that, their fault, not Henry's. Rather another :tophat: side of his brilliance being able to read and decide the game so quickly. :spin:

:wave:

I'm not bothered about the legaility of the free kick, what pisses me off is that I've seen teams try to take a quick free-kick, yet when they do, the ref gets them to take it again cos he hasn't blown his whistle.....

Yes Hasselbaink did it against West Ham, Henry did it against Villa...in my eyes it should be up to the aggreieved side to take the free kick whenever they want, I just want constitancy.

Another thing, if this had been reveresed, you can guarntee there would of been more of an uproar then there has been, Arsene Whinger would be at the Ref's throat!!

The game was 1-1 and it was in the first half. It could have possibly changed the game...or not. Also, Poll owes us, remember Highbury, 2001, Newcastle at home? Yeah, he owes us big time!! lol.

Mourinho and some Chelsea fans make it out to be the one defining moment of the game when the game had more than a few. What about Flamini being knocked over in the box by Parker? Henry's miss from 5 yds away. Henry and van Persie just going slightly wide at towards the end of the game.

What Mourinho should be mad about was how two teenagers were going forward so much in the last part of the game and his defense were letting us have so many stabs at the goal. And Wenger should be practicing defending set pieces for a whole training session and nothing else.

For me, I'm just happy to see an understrength Arsenal side almost win the game against the league leaders.

Man Yoo earned their money. I'll give them that. With the exception of the '92 youth team and the odd exception here and there (O'shite..er..ah..I mean O'shea and Brown), he's bought the best talent in the PL when he needed to fill a position and no one had the financial resources to compete. Also, very few clubs could compete financially when he went after continental talent (RVN, Schmeichel, Stam, etc.) Chelsea upset that apple cart. Duff and/or Robben and Cech would have been wearing red shirts had Chelsea not been in the picture.

chocolat steve said:

The game was 1-1 and it was in the first half. It could have possibly changed the game...or not. Also, Poll owes us, remember Highbury, 2001, Newcastle at home? Yeah, he owes us big time!! lol.

Mourinho and some Chelsea fans make it out to be the one defining moment of the game when the game had more than a few. What about Flamini being knocked over in the box by Parker? Henry's miss from 5 yds away. Henry and van Persie just going slightly wide at towards the end of the game.

What Mourinho should be mad about was how two teenagers were going forward so much in the last part of the game and his defense were letting us have so many stabs at the goal. And Wenger should be practicing defending set pieces for a whole training session and nothing else.

For me, I'm just happy to see an understrength Arsenal side almost win the game against the league leaders.

Man Yoo earned their money. I'll give them that. With the exception of the '92 youth team and the odd exception here and there (O'shite..er..ah..I mean O'shea and Brown), he's bought the best talent in the PL when he needed to fill a position and no one had the financial resources to compete. Also, very few clubs could compete financially when he went after continental talent (RVN, Schmeichel, Stam, etc.) Chelsea upset that apple cart. Duff and/or Robben and Cech would have been wearing red shirts had Chelsea not been in the picture.

What about Pires going down like a sack of spuds like he always does, what about lampards header that if on target would of been in, Flamini's knock was never a penalty and the ref, the commentators said such.

The game was full of incidents, that free-kick goal wasn't definining by any means, however, as I said before, the refs aren't consistant.

Duff would never of gone to Man U and he said as much, that was paper talk, yes, Robben did look around the Man U ground and was prepared to sign but the Man U directors didn't follow it up, so he joined for us.

Anyhow, I could go on about how we were the first club to potentially sign Cantona, but we decided he wasn't good enough....we all make mistakes....

See you at the bridge.....

And the FA has backed Poll and I've heard a number of pundits including the commentators that were on air here say it was 'cheeky' as you guys say, but not illegal and most folks say the advantage has to be to the team who was fouled.

If the same ref said Flamini wasn't fouled in the box and its accepted then accept that the same referee said Pires was fouled for a free kick. You and I and the world know commentators. They have their own favorites. There are pro and anti Chelsea, Arsenal or Man Yoo commentators.

Duff has to say he was never going there. I've not seen that quote but I'll accept your word he said it. All players say such things. He was long rumored to be a Man Yoo target. If there was no Chelsea, Blackburn wouldn't have turned down those millions. Smith has kissed the badge and said he's a Leeds boy and then rules out every club but Man Yoo. Players say things all the time. Robben went for the money. Man Yoo didn't follow up? Chelsea offered more money. Simple as that. Its not illegal to offer more money. Its done all the time but lets not make it seem that these players stayed up nights wetting themselves about going to Chelsea. Its a business. With the way you're playing now, players will want to come for more than money or a move to England.

Personally, I think Pires goes down too easy. But Mourinho acts if were not for the free kick the score would be 2-1. Mourinho had us by the short hairs with us using our 4th and 5th choice center mids. The equivalent of you being without Lampard and Makelele on Sunday. A missed opportunity. But the game wasnt decided on a alleged dodgy free kick.

Hey, not many teams would turn down a billionaire investor. So I'm not blaming Chelsea for it. At the end of the day, the trophies have to be won on the pitch. But lets not call Chelsea's emergence something it isn't either. They would not be in the position today without the hundreds of millions that has been infused into it. For some Chelsea fans they could care less. For others they are sensitive about it. Understandable. If the title and other trophies are won it may all be forgotten about how it was arrived at, or it may not. Blackburn fans and the players at the time aren't losing sleep over their title.

Be happy, you're in first place, in great form, have a good manager and a blank cheque for January to fill any position you feel needs to be strengthened.

I'm not bothered about the legaility of the free kick, what pisses me off is that I've seen teams try to take a quick free-kick, yet when they do, the ref gets them to take it again cos he hasn't blown his whistle.....

That's what I was trying to say :)

All teams should be able to take the free kick the instance it's given to them, ref should not interfere IMO. Allow game to move on unless his presence is needed. simple.

The interesting thing is that it richoched in, had not gone in, there wouldn't be an issue. I understand about the referee. As long as the team that was fouled has the advantage. It really doesn't become an issue unless the free kick is in scoring range. When its deep in your own half its rarely an issue. They replayed it and talked about (ad nauseum) on a football show here and Gudjohnsen seemed like he heard Henry say he wanted a quick kick but couldn't warn everyone in time.

Chelsea do look strong as hell though. Can't see them being denied a title this year or next. It will happen sooner or later. The league cup seems like it will be their first trophy.

chocolat steve said:

And the FA has backed Poll and I've heard a number of pundits including the commentators that were on air here say it was 'cheeky' as you guys say, but not illegal and most folks say the advantage has to be to the team who was fouled.

If the same ref said Flamini wasn't fouled in the box and its accepted then accept that the same referee said Pires was fouled for a free kick. You and I and the world know commentators. They have their own favorites. There are pro and anti Chelsea, Arsenal or Man Yoo commentators.

Duff has to say he was never going there. I've not seen that quote but I'll accept your word he said it. All players say such things. He was long rumored to be a Man Yoo target. If there was no Chelsea, Blackburn wouldn't have turned down those millions. Smith has kissed the badge and said he's a Leeds boy and then rules out every club but Man Yoo. Players say things all the time. Robben went for the money. Man Yoo didn't follow up? Chelsea offered more money. Simple as that. Its not illegal to offer more money. Its done all the time but lets not make it seem that these players stayed up nights wetting themselves about going to Chelsea. Its a business. With the way you're playing now, players will want to come for more than money or a move to England.

Personally, I think Pires goes down too easy. But Mourinho acts if were not for the free kick the score would be 2-1. Mourinho had us by the short hairs with us using our 4th and 5th choice center mids. The equivalent of you being without Lampard and Makelele on Sunday. A missed opportunity. But the game wasnt decided on a alleged dodgy free kick.

Hey, not many teams would turn down a billionaire investor. So I'm not blaming Chelsea for it. At the end of the day, the trophies have to be won on the pitch. But lets not call Chelsea's emergence something it isn't either. They would not be in the position today without the hundreds of millions that has been infused into it. For some Chelsea fans they could care less. For others they are sensitive about it. Understandable. If the title and other trophies are won it may all be forgotten about how it was arrived at, or it may not. Blackburn fans and the players at the time aren't losing sleep over their title.

Be happy, you're in first place, in great form, have a good manager and a blank cheque for January to fill any position you feel needs to be strengthened.

Your missing my point steve, I've never said there was anything wrong with the freekick, unsportsmanlike - defintely, but we'd probably do the same if it was us.

What was most disconcerting for me was the way the ref handled the situation and also that it shouldn't of been a free-kic k in the first place.

As for Robben, it wasn't the money (well mostly anyhow), its just United missed their chance, they were dilly-dallying and chelsea stole the player.

I'm not bothered about the money, United have spent zillions on buying the title over the past 8 years, blackburn did the same as did Newcastle (fat lot of good it got them).

If we win the title (which I've stated on many occasions I dont think we will), then I'll be happy as harry.

Archived