Delta, Northwest Airlines Announce Merger

zzzz

I haven't flown them since the days before the flying grannies took over.

American air carriers really do have some nasty old hags working on thier flights; not just NWA but all of them. I'm not just talking about thier looks either they are bitches.

They need to follow Etihad and Emirates lead foe flight attendants!!!

S1

Well, I can sympathise on this to an extent, but really, these women are there to do a job, not be a runway model show for the male customers. And I support them, as they are entitled to the best jobs/routes available to them as they have seniority. Should you or any other member here be replaced because they are older and not in the prime of their youth any more? Or overweight and ugly? I can see a reason for having them meet certain physical requirements and weight standards. They need to be physically capable of doing their job, which in one part requires them to be able to physically help passengers in the event of an accident. But age and beauty have no part of this really (unless their age comes with infirmities that would affect their doing their job - whereby they then should be offered jobs that better suit their age, health and physical stamina, or offered decent and fair compensation via early retirement and such). It's not a beauty contest though, rather it is a job, and many are good at what they do due to their vast experience on the job over the years.

I do agree though that some, a few, of the flight attendents (US based) can be quite, umm, ornery when dealing with the public they serve. Although in some cases the public they serve is obnoxious, overbearing, overly demanding, drunk, ignorant, abusive, nasty, uncivil and just impossible to deal with day in and day out without it affecting the attitude of those that deal with them on a constant basis. It's rather like the way many cops get after a long time on the job. I worked for the airlines for 23 years, and have seen the way many customers behave toward airline staff when things don't go the way they want them to. Usually many times the problems encountered are totally beyond the airline staff employees control to begin with. God could I tell stories of this crap! Some people become totally obnoxious once they have that airline ticket in hand.

Would I rather every flight attendent be a 21 year old beauty queen of the most demure and personable nature catering to my every whim? Certainly. I'm a guy!

The vast majority of FAs I have encountered (and I have flown a lot over the years) have been professionals doing their job, pleasant, competent, and eager to please the customer in any reasonable request as quickly as humanly possible. And I've flown on most of the major and minor US carriers over the years.

I have seen though since 911 that some have become far less tolerant of any 'perceived' abusive behaviour. And yes, some are total cunts. I've run into a couple that I hoped were just having a bad day, because if they were behaving like they were to me with all customers all the time they were certainly unfit for the job they were hired to do. But there are always a few bad apples in the barrel aren't there?

Cent

The whole face of Qantas cabin crew changed a few years back when the Arbitration Court ruled that age limits could not apply to trolly dollies.

These means that they can virtually work until retirement as long as they keep passing the health and safety tests.

Personally I find current Qantas cabin crew unfriendly and unhelpful, unlike the old days when the male stewards were all gay and a handsome stud like me got all the beer he could drink!!!

Archived