Utilities Expense in Bangkok

Heim_Hung

I used to rent a large, 45 s/m room in a large apartment building from the building management. I was charged B5.5 per unit of electricity, marked up from B3 direct rate.

I now rent a 70 s/m CONDO in the same building directly from the condo owner but because it is a condo, it has it's own direct meter and I only pay B3 per unit. Air con costs in the smaller room with an older ac unit averaged about B2500 per month, being run most nights and maybe 25 % daytime. Tne new, larger room averages about B500 per month less. The ac unit is much newer and more efficient.

Many buildings are mixed rental/condo such as mine. Management usually will not tell you about condo units in the building being independently rented by owners but if you look around outside near the building, you will often see small signs put up by owners renting condos. They often appear around the middle of the month and are sometimes quickly torn down by building management so keep your eyes peeled.

My experience is also that condo's are usually in better condition and have better furnishings.

I also get water direct, cost about B200 a month. Many apartments mark it way up, sometimes as much as b500 to b1000 per month.

Sometimes condo owners try to pass along the monthly maintainance fee, often hidden in the water bill. No consistent rule on this, subject to negotiation.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't paid anything for water for the past few months - and I'm in a good size house. Electricity about 1200 baht or so, thanks to an A/C.

However, if you live in an apartment expect to be ripped off. I know people paying a flat rate of 2,000 baht a month for water. Electricity ... about 4 times what it should be. If you rent an apartment, check your contract before you sign it.

girlfriend renting a quite new condo in a Ratchada soi. (I visited the condo etc...too).

The water and electricity fees are of course collected by the property management but at the government rates.

Last month's electricity bill = +- 800 baht (she uses airco quite a lot + laptop + computer etc...

water: +- 200 baht

Nice place, nice swimming pool, nice fitness, good security guards.

Management collects 800 something bht every months for "collective tasks" (that the condo landlord pays thus it is included in the rent).

Saw a few farangs there, otherwise it is mainly middle class Thai people.

All this to say there are some good landlords (I witnessed a negotiation between a potential renter, my girlfriend, and the landlord about the rent), there are also honest property management.

dddave's post sort of covers everything, it is dependent if you rent from a private owner and have direct metered billing or rent from Juristic Managment.

One thing to remember is that there are common utility fees for any Condominium complex to cover the cost of managment, common lighting and elevators, securety guards, trash emptying / cleaning of common areas, swimming pool / gym / recreational facilities upkeep etc etc.

If you rent from the Juristic it is common for these fees to be covered by the higher utilites charges imposed whereas if you rent from a private owner this will more than likely be included in your monthly rent. Even Condo owners such as myself still have the bi-annual juristic bill on top of our metered utilities bills.

PS

dddave It appears your water meter is out of calibration, you have a leak or someone is stealing your water. Our bill for 2 of us is less than 250THB / Month and that is at least 120 showers a month 15 loads in the washing machine usual toilet needs (I am working from home so heavy daily use) and all drinking water through the filteration system.

I haven't paid anything for water for the past few months - and I'm in a good size house.

that was a gift from the Samak government to "fight inflation". if you do not use water for over 500 THB, it is free; i think for about 6 months, then it is back to normal!

Archived