Cold weather to last until middle February: forecast chief

Mentors

Cold weather to last until middle February: forecast chief

The forecast chief of the Meteorological Department said Wednesday that cold weather would last until the middle of February.

Somchai Baimunag, director of the department's Weather Forecast Office, said cold weather would begin on November 8 and would last until the middle of February.

He said the temperature would be about one or two degrees lower than last year.

He said the temperature in Bangkok in December and January would be drop to about 17 to 18 Celsius degree.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/read.php?newsid=30087682

lucky i have my ski and sleigh with me :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The forecast chief of the Meteorological Department said Wednesday that cold weather would last until the middle of February.

no, surely not...this is just incredible...how someone can come up with such a stunning forecast...i've never, ever, noticed that a cool season follows a wet one...

may i can be so bold and predict that come mid-february the temperature will go UP? that's right, UP, not down...

I don't trust a lot the Thai weather forecasters

(having worked with some)

especially when they predict that the "cold weather would begin on November 8 and would last until the middle of February"

nice middle-range weather forecast...

What are their criterias to define cold weather?

What is a "wet season and cold season" in Thailand? Are these even considered official terms?

About stunning forecasts I heard a few ones (and did a few too)

I'm looking forward to the cool season here once again. It was great last year and lasted fairly long. Surin is a bit cooler than BKK gets too. Nice weather for walking and biking. And even though I never thought it would happen, after being here so long and acclimating to the weather... I actually do feel a bit chilly at times and need to put on a long sleeved shirt or a windbreaker in the late evenings. But hey, it ain't farkin snowing! :) :thumbup:

Does anyone actually listen to a weatherman?

Cent

Yes, most pilots listen to the weatherman but this kind of weatherman is not a clown like many of his colleagues -> read: his forecasts are usually 92% accurate and among the 8 other % there are usually slight miscalculations.

Compared to its clown (usually on TV or in meteorological institue) counterpart who on average has a forecast accuracy of 70-80% and these forecasts are damn easy to do like:" tomorrow will be cooler than today and there might have some rain over the country"

compared to its "operational" colleague's forecast:

"between 1pm and 1:30pm you will have this type of clouds and weather at this altitude etc..."

In addition, most people working in meteorological institute or on TV are not even weathermen as they don't have any qualification or diploma related to weather science. (as opposed to mathematicians, weather forecasters etc...)

:beer:

I'm curious as to why he picked November the 8th, as the huge high pressure system dominating the weather at present isn't showing signs of collapse, unless he knows it will, or it will move to the east rapidly. It's been dominant for a few weeks and has caused humid wet weather in Bangkok for a while now, dragging up moist warm air from the south-east. There's also the possibility of a tropical storm/typhoon forming to the south-east of the Philippines, although that might not develop due to land interaction.

Let's see if this very specific forecast pans out. I hope so. Cool nights are lovely here.

Archived