Thousands in Los Angeles protest gay-marriage ban

Flashermac

I won't reiterate the thoughts already expressed in the other threads on this. Just that most of us here are married (or in relationships) with gals not of our race. And that this was illegal as late ago as 1967 (Loving v VA). And I fail to see that gay and "white/non-white" is any different. Just replace the subjects in any argument (gay with white/non-white) and you'll see my point.

Church marriages are not in question here. Let those bastards do what they want. Fuck 'em' date=' but take away their tax-exempt rights. We are talking legalalities here.

Let the fags/lesbos have a country-wide right to marry. It is the right thing to do from any perspective (save the idiot Xtian POV and they lost that point with Loving). Besides, we are not a country ruled by the Bible -- the righties *have* to believe that with their violent opposition to Sharia law (which I agree with BTW).

Cheers,

SD[/quote']

I got to agree with you on this one. A lot of people are turned off from religion because of the "do as I say not as I do" philosophy. When a lot of the Christian religions claimed Jesus drank grape juice instead of wine, that was the end of it for me. Pure hypocricy along with a lot of their other beliefs.

The Guvenator seems to agree with me: "Mormon/religious right gay marriage ban is just like banning blacks and whites from marrying." That's actually pretty strong stuff, coming from a public official. It's also ironic, since the Mormon church was racist towards blacks until the late 70s -- pull their tax-emempt status over their unabashed support of this bill, I say.

[color:purple]I think it is unfortunate, obviously, but it's not the end, because I think this will go back into the courts, this will go back to the Supreme Court, because the Supreme Court very clearly in California has declared this unconstitutional. It's the same as in the 1948 case when blacks and whites were not allowed to marry. This falls into the same category.[/color]

Too bad Arnie spoke up *after* the election.

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its what they see on the tv that decides how they vote a lot of the times.

Well' date=' there's a lot of stuff on TV this week that might not help the gays win over the public. Is that OH there at the end?

More religious hatred! What would Jesus do if he was alive, walking the Earth today? Would he do this shit? Would he be violently opposed to homosexuality or would some of his followers be homosexuals?

More religious hatred!

"A gay anarchist group infiltrated the Mt. Hope Church in Eaton County Sunday morning, disrupting a service by pulling a fire alarm, dropping leaflets and yelling at parishioners, a pastor said.

"The group, Bash Back, was simultaneously picketing outside the church, beating on buckets and using a megaphone to shout 'Jesus was a homo' and other slogans as confused churchgoers continued to enter the building."

Its what they see on the tv that decides how they vote a lot of the times.

Well' date=' there's a lot of stuff on TV this week that might not help the gays win over the public. Is that OH there at the end?

More religious hatred! What would Jesus do if he was alive, walking the Earth today? Would he do this shit? Would he be violently opposed to homosexuality or would some of his followers be homosexuals?

More religious hatred!

"A gay anarchist group infiltrated the Mt. Hope Church in Eaton County Sunday morning, disrupting a service by pulling a fire alarm, dropping leaflets and yelling at parishioners, a pastor said.

"The group, Bash Back, was simultaneously picketing outside the church, beating on buckets and using a megaphone to shout 'Jesus was a homo' and other slogans as confused churchgoers continued to enter the building."

Like usual, rogie, you didn't answer the question.

I can't answer for Steve, but....

I saw a more in-depth article somewhere, but I can't be arsed to find it.

I noticed that the people who were quoted were all over 50 and church goers.

In my post I said they were the only ones that I knew who would vote for Prop 8 no matter if the no side presented the full facts.

I could be wrong, but I still think young blacks 18-36 couldn't care less if gays want to marry or not and voted yes on prop 8 based solely on immense press and commercials saying to vote yes.

I still say no matter how you cut that pie, the ban on gays is based on religion and/or personal bias. Its a dangerous precedence to set. We have been there, done that in this country. All manor of citizens were denied full participation based on the bias of the general (or dominant) population at the time.

Isolated cases of gays doing something does not a majority make.

The gay marches are not much different than marches against the Iraq War, Vietnam war, Segregation, etc.

Radio station receives anthrax threat

By Veronica Rocha

BURBANK â?? Police are looking into who sent an envelope to a radio station Friday containing a white, powdery substance that the sender claimed was anthrax and a letter regarding Proposition 8.

The powder was not anthrax, , but the FBI may join the Burbank Police Department in its investigation, Burbank Police Sgt. Travis Irving said.

â??It could be a federal case,â? he said. â??I think weâ??ll get some assistance from the FBI.â?Â

Police went to the KOST-FM (103.5) radio station, which is housed in an office building on the 3400 block of West Olive Avenue, at about 12:30 p.m. after a radio station employee reported the suspicious letter, Irving said.

The building also houses Clear Channel Communication radio stations, including KFI-AM (640), KIIS-FM (102.7), KBIG-FM (104.3) and KYSR-FM (98.7).

The employee opened an envelope and found a powdery substance on the letter regarding Proposition 8, which voters passed Nov. 4, banning gay couples from marrying.

â??It appeared to be against Proposition 8,â? he said.

Link

My biggest fear about all this is the bad timing. To have gay marriage legalized only a few months before the election was bad timing. If this change in the law had happened...now, for instance, people would've gotten used to it and seen that their marriage wasn't affected in the least and it wouldn't have been a big deal.

And now bad timing again. This has become such a big issue that it will likely end in the Supreme Court. Of course, in theory this should be a good thing. Get the cracker states out of it, and let a group of grownups make policy.

Just like a state can't disallow blacks and whites to marry, states shouldn't be allowed to decide on gay marriage either. It's all about discrimination. If a man can marry a woman and a woman can marry a man, then a man can also marry a man and a woman can marry a woman...the same with interracial marriage (if blacks can marry blacks and whites can marry whites, etc) Anything otherwise undermines our constitution that all men are endowed with the same liberties.

But again, the timing. We have just had 8 years of a backward president filling open Supreme Court spots with his brand of wacko. Can they be trusted to put the good of the country over their ideology? Perhaps this would be better coming up in a few years once Obama has has the chance to balance the scales of justice a bit more.

Guest lazyphil

freedom to be happy is in the bill of rights, isn't it?....it takes all sorts, maybe somebody would like to marry their pet.

its no less/more relevent as mixed race marraige or gay marraige, people do have sexual relations with animals, illegal i think but so was homosexuality not so long ago. sticking my cock up another mans arse is as abhorent as doing so up a goats but who am i to meddle?....oh, and nobody asks consent to an animal if we can slaughter them or test medicines on them, before the consent of the animal in the paw/hoof of marraige gets raised.

Archived