to carry your passport or not?

PhilAnders

still' date=' it all seems rather ambiguous, doesn't it?[/quote']

yes, exactly! it's actually up to the BiB in any single case whether he accepts copy or any other document other than the passport

let's debate further, shall we?

why? this has been discussed a trillion times on this board and it always has remained ambiguous!

has it been discussed before?

you sure?

never noticed that.

:neener:

i was also under the impression that all true ex-pats have a high ranking member of the police force at their disposal to sort out any difficulty, always seems so in the novels. :smirk:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
J2,

Find attached the Immigration Act

Refer to Section 12(1)

I am not being a keyboard warrior I am quoting directly from the Act. This IS THE LAW

Sorry Mekong, I wasn't referring to you specifically, or even generally, I'd just spent an hour going through the past posts on this topic on another forum which degenerated into death threats and bannings.

What your file shows is the immigration act, what I would like to see is what the Thailand criminal code says.

I found a link to the Q Bar raid on August 20, 2004 where many tourists were fined for not carrying their passports but unfortunately the actual article in The Nation is no longer there.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/adsearch.php?q=Q+bar+drug+raid+bangkok

....Section 58 : Any alien who has no lawful document for entering the Kingdom under Section 12 (1); or has no Residence Certificate under this Act; and also has no identification in accordance with the Law on

Alien registration, is considered to have entered into the Kingdom in violation to this Act....

It doesn't actually say that you have to have it on you, e.g., I always have a "lawful document for entering the Kingdom", I just don't have it on me but it's in my hotel. :dunno:

J2,

No offence taken, this topic always has been and alway will be a bone of contention amongst expats and tourists alike and we each have our own opinions and experiences based upon our own specific circumstances.

Whilst I was not present at Q-Bar on Friday 20th August raid that you are refering to around the same period I was caught up in a couple of similar raids and laminated copy of Passport / Visa details was accepted by BiB as form of ID when I tried to show my Driving Licence I was told Mai Pen Rai, so I can only assume that the tourists were fined for not carrying any form of ID in lieu of passport as required by Article 12(1) of the Immigration Act rather than not carrying original passport per se. The Nation are not renowned for getting their facts 100% correct at the best of times.

As I stated, I always have some form of Identification in Lieu of my Passport and my passport is always locked away in the room where I will sleep that night whether it be at home or a hotel safe if I am travelling.

Surely, 'Thai' and 'Comedian' are mutually exclusive terms, like...I dunno..'Generous' and 'Yorkshireman'.

Just had a weekend (in my own house I will have you know) of torture - sheer, fucking, agonising, pain - because of Thai TV 'comedy' shows.

Those stupid cymbal crashes and 'whooop' noises.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!!!!!!! Fuck Off!! (Whoooop - Boing)

Archived