to carry your passport or not?

PhilAnders

Easiest way to identify myself is to speak swedish and give my social security number, police can directly see my passport photo.

i speak thai to the thai police and nevertheless they insist that i am a farang! :dunno:

this trick only worked with a burmese guy at the entrance of a national park who let me in for the thai fee :(

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me thinks that *** maybe *** a copy of one's passport will be OK...why...when I apply for my visa to say, China, the Chinese take my passport for up to 3 ~ 4 days while they issue me the visa.

I have a receipt for my passport so I can "prove" where the passport is. So there are situations where one can not carry their passport.

I always carry a coppy of my passport. One side is a copy of the page with my photo and the other side is a copy of the stamp of when I entered Thailand and of my Thai visa.

In xx years, I have never been asked to show my passport, only my driver's license...YMMV

I'm with you less than paranoid guys (no need to carry passport/valid local ID, but carry *some* form of photo ID say drivers license, international/english ID etc, passport photo copy) to have a good schance of staying out of trouble :)

On a related matter I see several occasions where foreigners need *ID* in LOS including following:

1) High profile nightspots such as Q-bar & other clubs - sometimes farang's are just waved through while ALL thais have to flash IDs otherwise I've had no problems using foreign photo drivers license or ID.

2) Driving to visit a gated community - security will require *ID* & again I was able to use as per above.

Any other examples/experiences?

When I was haunting RCA I always needed my passport

(remember one time when a TG in my group forgot her ID car -> can't enter), also places such as bed or Qbar...

Was never asked my ID/passport in SC but after a bad experience I always asked the ID card of the BG

:grin:

I always carried my passport on me and never had a problem anywhere...

YMMV

still, it all seems rather ambiguous, doesn't it?

let's debate further, shall we? there are those who profess never carrying it, while there are those who insit it must be carried.

why would a copy be enough? surely the local coppers know of photoshop and such, and how easily documents could be manipulated.

if I'm in Sweeden, will my thai passport be enough? even if i'm fluent in sweedish?

if i'm a paki peanut seller in bangkok, do i need to carry my passport, or is my forged work permit enough?

discuss:

still, it all seems rather ambiguous, doesn't it?

yes, exactly! it's actually up to the BiB in any single case whether he accepts copy or any other document other than the passport

let's debate further, shall we?

why? this has been discussed a trillion times on this board and it always has remained ambiguous!

Archived