3G iPhone coming to Thailand Soon

Mekong

By Telecom Reporters

The Nation

Published on November 13, 2008

True Move yesterday

True Move yesterday announced the signing of an agreement with Apple to bring the much-hyped iPhone 3G mobile devices to Thailand in the coming months.

However, the company declined to provide further details in its press release.

A source at True Move said the company would use the iPhone 3G devices with its planned upcoming 3G network, which will utilise the 800MHz spectrum.

The iPhone 3G supports third-generation mobile broadband in three spectrum bands - 850MHz, 1900MHz and 2.1GHz - and also the wireless Internet service.

The source added that True Move had been in talks with Apple for more than three months on a deal to be the authorised cellular service provider of the iPhone 3G.

True Move is subsidiary of True Corp, which has built a reputation for its move towards convergent telecom, Internet and content services.

Source

GSM 800 is operating band VI U/L 830 - 840 (Ch 4162 - 4188 additional 812, 837) D/L 875 - 885 (Ch 4387 - 4413 additional 1037, 1062)

GSM 850 is operating band V U/L 824 - 849 (Ch 4132 - 4233 additional 782, 787, 807, 812, 837, 862 D/L 869 - 894 (Ch 4357 - 4458 additional 1007, 1012, 1032, 1037, 1062, 1087)

So a 3G iPhone set to UMTS/HSDPA 850 (band V) will be able to utilise UMTS/HSDPA 800 (band VI) but with a narrower spectrum of frequencies (ie the licence for True for band VI is cheaper than band V)

As for your 3G being useless in Thailand, it sounds like O2 have locked the phone based on your contract with them and in order to use it globaly and with any SIM Card you will need to Jailbreak it. If you are using PC the best resource is QuickPWN_2.1 which works with V 2.1 (5F136) of the OS and iTunes 8, once you have downloaded the files it takes approx 15 minutes to unlock it.

(I am assuming you are talking about a 3G iPhone on O2 network and not an O2 3G phone)

Faustian,

Once an iPhone has been unlocked it is quite easy to lock it up again, 75% of people with unlocked probably lock it up again unintentionaly, but given what you and your family have been through over the past few months I fully understand your reasons for sticking with the UK contract.

Reading between the lines it will probably be available late Q1 2009 when True are due to roll out 3G in Thailand. No prices available as of yet but I expect it to be 6-7K THB for the handset plus 24 month contract in line with the contracts Apple have with other global carriers. Time will tell.

As for your 3G being useless in Thailand, it sounds like O2 have locked the phone based on your contract with them and in order to use it globaly and with any SIM Card you will need to Jailbreak it.

(I am assuming you are talking about a 3G iPhone on O2 network and not an O2 3G phone)

Thanks Mekong for the insight. I may have confused matters as I didn't know 3G 850 phones would work on a 800 system. In my case I don't have an iPhone but an O2 3G phone that is rated for 2100 3G system so thats why I meant it was useless for 3G in Thailand but works in many other countries using the 3G 2100 system? I actually bought the thing in Bangkok as well over a year ago.

Archived