Lao?

bust

Hmmm... the people I hung out with used to use khoi/khoy.

Could have been a slang term.

Were these male friends J2.... :hmmm:

Were you all hanging out at the same time.... :hmmm:

May need a ruling here.

No mainly girls bust. :smirk:

You can go mad discussing the dialects up around the Lao/Thai border. I used to keep a little note book in Lao and copy down any new words that I thought might be useful.

When I look at it today a lot just don't seem to resemble what I've learned since.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I used to keep a little note book in Lao and copy down any new words that I thought might be useful.

When I look at it today a lot just don't seem to resemble what I've learned since.

I used to do the same thing with thai......a girl suggested it one day. A lot of the time done with phonetic spelling but was good for someone who doesn't spend a lot of time there and hasn't done thai lessons.

Now if i could only find it.

The old AUA Thai books by Marvin Brown were good. Nowadays, AUA thinks you learn better by listening to someone else talking Thai at you.

A very nice review can be had from a booklet & cassette combo called "Speak Thai in Seven Days". No one can master it in 7 days, but it is broken down into 7 lessons. It should bring you up to basic proficiency fairly fast. The tapes are great, since they use both male and female voices. It is all conversational Thai.

There was an excellent Lao phrase book that was written by an American lecturer at the Vientiane University. He used to come into the bar I drank at, the SamLo, and he had a great way of breaking up the sentences so you go an idea of what was meant rather than what was said. Unfortunately the book was extremely poor quality and fell apart rapidly.

There was a strange but useful grammar guide, i think produced for the army language school back in the day - weird transliteration system, but simple introduction to grammar with ever useful examples like: "when you're finished cleaning those rifles, you will be ready to begin a survey of potential landing zones in the east-northeastern sector," or "i took the anti-diarrheal pills in the emergency kit, but I'm still expelling blood and mucus and need you to prepare a slide mount using the stool specimen wrapped in this leaf..."

Yellow book, Lao flag on the cover.

Archived