Rural Pics

CTO

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last 5.

All these pics are from rural Thailand, Isaan. The majority are from around my village house area or around my Surin home area. Many are from across the street from my Surin house. An older retired Thai military man plants flowers and vegetables in a plot across the street from my house. This year he had a garden and he planted a large plot of corn. Within a few weeks there was a small field of 8 foot high corn stalks. It was awesome to have that right across the soi. It made the city seem like country. The sound of the breeze rustling the leaves of the corn stalks each evening was soothing.

Many of the other pics were taken along the roads hereabouts as I drove around. Many a Thai family sitting on their porch were amazed to see the crazy farang get out of the truck with camera in hand and ask if he could take a picture of their flowers/yard. Many smiles. Good people, proud people, decent folk. And their colorful flowers helped make my father's day when he saw them. It brought him away from the cold snow and ice, and took him for a moment to where I lived in Thailand, where it is sunny and warm, and filled with beautiful flowers. He told me these pics made his day and asked me to continue sending them to him.

There is a small town on the way up to my village. Name of Lum Duan. This little place seems to have some great civic pride and the main street leading through it has homes where the villagers have done beautiful displays of flowers and trees in front of their homes and in their yards. It's an old town, with many of the old wooden houses lining the street. I plan to one day soon do a series of pics of these beautiful Isaan homes I see every time I go to the village for a weekend away. I love what these people have done to their community. It is very nice. I'll post the pics here in this Rural thread once I do them.

Hope some of you enjoyed the pics.

Cent

Nice pics! When I first came here in 1973, I spent a few days in a little town called Kuiburi. It had dirt roads and wooden buildings that must have been all from before WWII. It was like a trip back to the past, especially since the teacher I was staying with gave me a first hand account of the Japanese landing there in Dec 1941. I wish I'd taken rolls of photographs, since I hate to think what has happened to it now. Probably all concrete and looking like every other town in Thailand. :(

Archived