Rural Pics

CTO

Drogon,

Cool. Make sure to book your rooms very early, as they book up quick for the festival and all hotels are full in advance. Also, they double the price of a room from around 800 baht a night to 1600 baht a night for the festival week/weekend. You'll have fun. Make a long weekend or few days of it and I'll show you a few places of interest, plus your GF will likely like these places as well (she is Buddhist yes?) for the shopping (Silver village, silk village with loads of nice clothes, etc.).

Cent

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All,

As a matter of 'rural' Thailand interest I present you with my new buddy residing in my village house in the steel hollow supports of the front porch area.

-----------------

Meet: Chrysopelea ornata ornatissima (Golden Tree Snake)

Thai: (ngu kieo lai dok mak)

Length: Up to 140 cm

Occurrence: The Golden Tree Snake is to be found throughout Thailand.

Behaviour/habitat:

Chrysopelea Ornata Ornattissima is a flexible snake. It can be found in forests, on plantations, in gardens and in houses. This snake is regularly found in the inner city areas of Bangkok and Pattaya. As they enjoy eating rodents, geckos and other lizards, they are often found on and in houses. These snakes are active during the day, can climb walls and are very fast.

Danger:

If they feel threatened and cannot flee, they bite straight away. The species Chrysopelea belongs to the viper family. However, the poison is so mild that it does not have much of an effect on humans.

-------------------

Have seen this little bastard a few times now. Today he was half hanging out of the roof of my porch. A couple months ago I was installing a shade roof for my driveway area to shade the vehicle. I made it from that green mesh sunscreen stuff you see everywhere here and two long bamboo poles, drilled some holes for some wire to attach it to my house and the cousin's house next door. While up on the ladder tying up one corner I looked at something that moved right in front of my face (my head being near the roof where these steel tubes are) and looked right into the face of this little bugger. Not knowing what the fuck it was, nor how dangerous, I let myself fall backwards off the ladder. Gave me a bit of a fright it did. I kept imagining it biting my face, we were face to face mere inches apart. Mildly poisonous to me is STILL POISONOUS! Especially if the thing bit me in the throat or the face.

Cousin Mun next door says it is 'good luck' and it lives in her home sometimes as well. I asked her to invite it back to her house and keep it there.

Cent

Yeah, but the "can climb walls and are very fast" is actually what got my attention. And one much like this one, but more poisonous, is said to be able to "glide on the air". Fark me, you haven't much of a chance if the bastard wants you do you? Glide in the air, climb walls, and is very fast. Jeesh.

Thing is I noticed it again (after the first run-in I described above) just last week. I was putting some finishing touches on my new water sprinkler hose I set up to water the plants I just planted in front of the house and the side of the porch, when something caught my eye out of my periphrial vision. It was this fucker hanging out of the metal frame about two feet above my head.

The sprinkler I rigged up works wonders though. Just twist the faucet lever and a fine mist and drops water all the plants. Easy, no muss no fuss, and MIL can do it every day when I am not there without a bit of trouble or hard work for her. My last bunch of plants to beautify the house all ended up dead dry kindling. Now there is no excuse not to keep them watered. The villagers think I am fucking weird, but it works and is a simple ingenious system that cost nothing more than one long green garden hose (which I had already), some screws and wire, a bunch of holes drilled, and a homemade device I rigged to put small holes in the hose once I had it up. Now each plant has its own drip and mist. A year from now the hedges (I bought flowering and non-flowering and staggered them one every other) I bought for 6 baht each should be a couple feet tall, and the flowering bushes, flowering cacti, and sunflowers should grow like weeds. If this doesn't work I am going to concrete every piece of dirt in front of the place and say 'fuck it'!

Cent

Some old pics taken on one of the first cheapo digital cameras you could get a dozen years ago or there abouts. Each night of the Elephant Festival they have a cultural show at an outdoor stadium/soccer field that shows the history of Surin and stuff like that. Here are a few of those pics. They aren't very good, and the lighting was weird as they used colored spots overhead and bright kleiglamps on the ground to light this. Plus it was a cheap Sears made-in-Korea early digital.

Archived