President-elect promised change, picking insiders

Flashermac

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(in response to Flashermac, with whom I respectfully disagree with)

Bill Richardson is worthy and will find a place.

I know you don't like Senator Clinton but she has over a decade of experience at the highest levels in Washington and has experience with just about every world leader out there (even if not always in an offical capacity) Certainly she is more well known than any other possible pick. And the general consensus is that she is smart, tough, and respected by most around the world. (they might even fear her a little...like you do) And her expected pick has been lauded by most who have so far commented...including many Republicans.

For you, who can't stand her...which would you rather have, Hillary (her name is spelled with an "i" by the way) as a leader in the Senate crafting policy, Hillary as the next Supreme Court justice deciding on the law of the land, or Hillary promoting Obama's policies overseas. See...it's win-win, even if you don't like her.

But she is only one of Obama's many rumored choices thus far. The rest have all been equally praised, including his Treasury sec pick who's name sparked a 500 point rally in the market after it was announced.

(Regarding your inability to use Hillary Clinton's proper name...I understand the Hellary bit...you are saying she is somehow demonic...but what is with the Hillsie...which makes me think of a very young and shallow personage. Not even the most ardent Hillary detractors would claim she's either young or a light thinker so I'm not sure the point of that latest disparaging use of a form of her name)

I certainly do not fear her. But she presents herself as a woman who has made her own way in the world. Uh ... where would she be if she were not Mrs Bill? Would another woman from Illinois even have been considered for Senator from New York?

She might well be the president-elect herself, if she had kept her husband out of her own primary campaign.

What's the difference between saying Bubba and Hillsie? I'd have a lot more respect for her if she'd cut the BS during her campaign, e.g. as to her combat adventure in Bosnia (as RY corrected me on). Lies come to easily to her, when it's to her advantage.

p.s. Says Bob Woodward:

<< Being president is about control, and tell me who ever controlled Bill or Hillary Clinton. They can't control each other. ... I think it's because Warren Buffett and Paul Volcker and others have convinced Obama, 'You're going to have to focus like a laser on the economy. That's issue Number One. And give Hillary and Bill the world.' ... I think people are fantasizing or smoking something if they think Joe Biden's going to call Hillary Clinton up and say, 'This is what we want you to do.' >>

Link

Indeed, I tend to think of Hillary as a force majore, maybe even slightly unhinged...I think Obama has his work cut-out keeping her "on mission". Her experience is a plus, her personality will be exposed. There's lots of work to be done, certainly in her portfolio. Will she rise to the challenge and buckle-down or will her ego govern her decision making...time will tell. When's she going to divorce Mr cigar man? I'd have more respect for her if she got rid of him....

That said' date=' I'm not overly worried. The president still sets the tone. If Obama sets the tone then I have every reason to believe that those he has in his cabinet will carry out his plan according to his vision.

[/quote']

Has it struck you, steve, that Bambi has given no substantive speeches or press conferences since his election? What is his plan?

One president at a time Rogueyam. If there is anything we've learned over many months of the campaigning is that Obama has a plan. He always has a plan and he executes it well.

Okay, a campaign is not the presidency but how he ran his campaign gives us some things about the man. He is well organized, a great strategist, knows how to build a team, sticks to his message and ideals no matter what else is happening around him.

I don't think for one minute, he ran for President and then all of a sudden said 'Hmm, now what do I do'. This is a man who thinks things out to its conclusion.

I wouldn't worry that he hasn't said much.

Poor RY is confused. He's so used to having a president with the brains of a turnip.

I had a colleague in the 1990s whose cousin was a state trooper assigned to the Arkansas governor's mansion during the Clinton years. The cousin told about Hillary losing it and going on absolute temper tantrums, screaming at everyone and throwing things around the room. Look at her photos and you can see that temper lurking just under the surface. Yet people only seemed to criticise John McCain's occasional temper flare ups.

Obama has supposedly chosen NY Fed chairman Timothy Geitner to be head of Treasury

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/barackobama/3501185/Timothy-Geitner-the-man-who-will-run-Obamas-ecomomic-team-is-a-basketball-playing-pressure-junkie.html

The guy's CV reads impressive and the move seems like a good one. Has Obama hit a homerun with this choice or is he a bad choice?

As for Hillary as Sec State. I completely understand the worry. I am not her biggest fan either. With regards to her peforming the job though, what is the exact fear? For me its that she does not execute Obama's vision. I think she will. I can't see her leaving the reservation.

The other question is 'Can she do the job'? I think she can. She's traveled with Bill and on her own and knows the diplomatic dance. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is why she won't be a good Sec State?

One last question is will Obama be able to get his cabinet to execute his vision and plans?

That's why she does well in politics!

She would probably be all right as Secy of State. I just don't see her as the best choice for the job. Maybe Obie wants a woman to follow up Condoleeza. :dunno:

p.s. Hadn't realised this:

<< Rice was a Democrat until 1982 when she changed her political affiliation to Republican after growing averse to former President Jimmy Carter's foreign policy. She also cited influence from her father, John Wesley Rice, who himself switched from Democrat to Republican after being denied voting registration by the Democratic registrar. In her words to the 2000 Republican National Convention, "My father joined our party because the Democrats in Jim Crow Alabama of 1952 would not register him to vote. The Republicans did." >>

Wikipedia

Archived