Governments warn tourists over Thailand travel

Mentors

Governments around the world on Wednesday warned their citizens to avoid Thailand and steer clear of protesters occupying its main

international airport.

Thai authorities Wednesday began evacuating some of the 3,000-plus travellers -- many of them foreign tourists -- trapped at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi International Airport since demonstrators stormed the terminal on Tuesday.

The occupation is the latest development in a long-running campaign by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) aimed at overthrowing Thailand's democratically-elected government, which it accuses of nepotism and corruption.

China, France, New Zealand, Singapore, Britain, the United States, Australia and Japan on Wednesday warned travellers planning to head to Bangkok to steer clear or to act with caution if already in Thailand.

"The Chinese Embassy advises that Chinese citizens planning to visit Thailand should postpone their plans," a travel advisory on the website of the Chinese Embassy in Bangkok said.

"Chinese citizens currently in Thailand should pay attention to their safety and stay away from areas of protest marches and demonstrations."

In a statement posted on its website, France's foreign affairs ministry advised French people due to fly through Bangkok to make alternative arrangements.

The Australian government, which has a long-standing warning of possible terrorist attacks in the country, told its citizens Wednesday to take extra precautions if they were planning to visit Thailand.

The Japanese foreign ministry urged its nationals to be cautious.

In an alert posted on the ministry's website, it said people planning to visit or to stay in Thailand were advised to check flight information well beforehand.

"They should collect information on new developments and stay away from places where protesters demonstrate," it said.

PAD leaders, who have said airlines wishing to use the airport must ask their permission, told airport authorities they would not negotiate with anyone other than Thai Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat.

full article

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/World/Rest_of_World/Governments_warn_tourists_over_Thailand_travel/articleshow/3759323.cms

today i realised, that if i would get involved in martial chaos and i would have an accident, my insurance policies would not pay anything.

:alert: :alert:

mentors, you should suscribe to a life and medical insurrance with my girlfriend's part time job company.

:beer:

FS: Millions of Zimbabwe money will be ok?

:neener:

A few other EU countries warned their citizens too

-> with the high season in Thailand approaching it might produce some unexpected results.

So how come nobody warned me about going to South Vietnam in 1969? I want to sue for millions! :(

(Millions of anything will do - dong, ringit, kip, rial, chapattis ...)

Flashermac,

please ask your new elected President

Drogon,

what kind of medical insurance, what i always read is that they don't pay for accidents because war-like situations or so.

What I read (in English) on one of the contracts for a medical-life insurance was in case of civilian unrest the customer would be covered.

Customer wouldn't be covered in case of a war or for damages sustained in a country in a state of civil war.

Of course I didn't read all the pages so there might no be any precision about what difference there is between a civil war and "civilian unrest".

I was suprised too because never in my life I found an insurance company covering me in case of a war or "civilian unrest".

I feel this would be a very tricky thing though which would most certainly end up in court.

The 2005 Sharm al-Sheikh bombing in Egypt left over 80 people dead and 200 people wounded. Many of the injured people needed ongoing, expensive medical treatment. Some of these victims were not able to get compensation from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authorities and were not covered by their medical or travel insurance policies, which excluded cover for treatment needed as a result of a terrorist attack. These people are now relying on savings, charity and friends and family to help pay for their treatment. This shows just how important it is to read the small print of a policy.

http://www.medibroker.com/WarTerrorism.html

i make me some thought about that, because i will travel soon

Archived