Cheap hotel near airport for late arrival

persil

Due to the trouble at Suvarnabhumi, I am re-routed o arrive at Singapore late Thursday ar actually eraly friday (1.30 a.m.0

can anyone advise on a cheap hotel near the airport, since I am waiting for next morning transfer to a Thai airport, as yet unknown.

Inside the airport in Concorse G and A there are day rooms. Not cheap but you'll be in a quite room with hong nam/shower etc. By the hour and most often you can get a room. I was only sent off in Oct of 2006 when therer were only a few room. far ends of concorse D so use the moving sidewalks. If on is full they will call the other for you. I use them often and they are MUCH better that the ones a Don Meung!

I think he meant in Singapore as to where he needed the hotel.

But I had the same need in BKK, a very very early flight and used the Convenient Resort for about $32 US. It is on the same road extending from On Nut and if you need to go into town they have a driver and it is easy to get a cab at On Nut to get back.

Wonder how they got on during these festivities, because they are very very close.

I also stayed at Nasa Vega too, on the same trip. It wasn't as close to the airport as I thought but was satisfactory. Where does the train in front of Nasa Vega end?

The first time I used a transit hotel at Changi, I did something rather stupid (which will come as a surprise to no one here who knows me).

I arrived in T3, was departing in a few hours from T2, and checked in to the only available room, which was in T1. All I wanted was a shower and maybe a nap after a quick drinky-poo, so I dumped my bag on the bed and left the room.

While at the bar, I realized I'd run out of smokes so I tried to buy some at duty free. They wouldn't sell me any because I was on standby for my outward flight and had no boarding pass.

After a walkabout of the terminals, in a full state of nic-fit arrest, I discovered that the only cigarettes to be bought were duty-free, but I spied a little convenience store downstairs and outside the terminal. So I cleared customs, went there, and got me smokes.

Problem was, now I couldn't get back in the terminal as, again, I had no boarding pass. The SQ check-in agent told me I'd have to wait outside immigration until I was called at flight closing (departure) time.'

Fair enough, I said, but my bag's in the transit hotel in T1 and there's no way I can retrieve it, check-out, and make it over to T2 in time to board. I begged her to just give me a dummy boarding pass to get me through immigration, but she wouldn't do it.

Frustrated, I went outside and, drawing on a cigarette, I remembered I had a business card of one of the SQ terminal managers, so I called him. It was his day off. The manager on duty said he couldn't give me a dummy boarding pass because it would be a breech of security, but instead arranged an interview for me with an immigration official who, after some time waiting in his office for my 'hearing', kindly allowed me to pass through sans boarding pass.

Needless to say, by the time I left his office it was final call anyway and I still had to make a mad dash to the hotel to get my shit and on to the departure gate.

But at least I got my smokes! :content:

But at least I got my smokes! :content:

I'm paying US $7.00 a pack now.

Does anyone know how much $$ that is per year?

That's about a good R/T ticket in Economy Plus for me and some extra spending money for that cute Thai gal staring at me every time I enter (fill in the blank) !!

Not too long ago, you could get a whole carton for $10 duty free at places like Bangers, Sillypore and Taipei.

My wife didn't smoke, but she worked at LAX and her flight attendant co-workers would bring them in for me from those places.

One day she was sitting in the upstairs office doing administrative work when she was called downstairs to the ticket counter to meet an inbound flight attendant carrying my ciggies.

While she was waiting, the bloke standing right next to her pulled out a gun and started shooting up the El Al ticket counter!

She urged me to quit smoking after that experience, but eventually started herself. :)

Archived