Muay Thai

Mekong

I have trained at the Fairtex camp in Bangplee, and 1 time at the one in Pattaya...nice place, like a western spa with a muy Thai theme...stick to Jitti and Ingram for really good training.

Typically, both sessions are more less the same, a bit of conditioning, warm up, pad drills, bag work, more conditioning, and what ever the trainer decides...you can just sort of show up at Jitti, and talk to Jitti, tell him what you are looking for, or email them. It is a great place, very basic, but very good. The training is better than Fairtex, and less arrogant.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slightly off topic, I went to see Women's Muay Thai in SF at the old Kezar Pavilion a couple of months ago (one of the women I train with was on the card). It was a great event ... some of the fights were terrific ... in a great venue (you could practically hear the old Roller Derby ghosts skating around the joint).

I gather in Thailand that women's Muay Thai is at least frowned upon. Their loss. The women's matches were much more entertaining than the Strikeforce MMA card I saw in San Jose this month.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if womens muay thai is frowned upon still, it's often on the TV and more interesting then the guys :) last week there was a farang girl fighter who beat a thai from khon kaen. There is a well known ladyboy fighter who they made a biog film about-he fought to help pay for a sex change, they called him/her parinya i think, good film. Also now there is a girl singer called Kratear who has fought over 30 fights when she was a youngster, real cute too, I have a VCD of most of her fights she only lost to two Japanese girls and beat one in a return. I would certainly pay to see her fight if she returns to the ring :)

She was wearing heels. But yes, she is tall, for a Thai. Hell, one of my Muay Thai trainers is 6'4".

I saw Nong Toom fight as a man, and as a woman. He/She is awesome then and now! She uses a lot of the long lost/foresaken moves that make the sport a joy to watch. I have a lot of respect for her as a person and as a Muay Thai fighter.

Archived