40 Years ago Today ...

Mekong

Hi,

40 years already? Wow.

There's recently been some talk about new tools that would replace the mouse, but none of them seemed anywhere near as useful.

Some people for instance think that touch screens will replace mice, but I for one can't see that happening, other than maybe on laptops.

Sanuk!

KS

Agreed, In my field of engineering (Industrial Control Systems) we have had touch screen navigation for over 15 years now from certain vendors such as Honeywell, ABB & Yokogawa etc but the operator workstaions are still furnished with either Mouse or Trackerball which the operators still prefer to use for certain navigation.

Back in 2001 I had a Panasonic "Toughbook" laptop that I used in the field that also had touch screen interface but for anything other than basic tasks I plugged the mouse in, it was just too tedious.

Touchscreens are OK for mobiles and PDA's at the moment IMHO, it will take some type of holographic interface as showm in the movie Minority Report, which many prototypes are being tested, beofre the decline of the humble mouse.

Some people for instance think that touch screens will replace mice, but I for one can't see that happening, other than maybe on laptops.

Sanuk!

I am working on a new MacBook Pro which has a new touchpad which has a very large touchpad which is almost identically operated like the iPhone touch screen. With the MacBook it is the first time that I don't miss a mouse, previously I hated the touchpads.

Sanuk!

No way. Tests show that cats have very little interest in touch screens. Probably because their claws keep slipping.

(Sorry KS...I'll get my coat)

Archived