Washington Square reprieve (again)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not often that you and I agree but when it comes to Washington Square' date=' I am with you 100%. It is a decrepit run-down place and I find it depressing. [/quote']

I thought you didn't like whores? so why would you care?

Nope, Stick is 100% correct. A dismal place, stay away!!!!!

I'm just posting info for those who may care...

Cheers,

SD

Depressing? Why the hell would anyone be depressed over Washington Square? There are some gems to be found there among the staff. Good foods as well. Many small, laid back little bars are there and most have their 'use' for those who are not snobs or anti-American idjits. It's what it is, and I like it there at times for a change. Much less pressure there for lady drinks and the price is usually right too. I find it more an afternoon treat, or a place to meet for drinks before going out with friends, and it is a good place to meet up that is close to Cowboy.

Bourbon Street restaurant is a favorite place of mine to eat and greet friends too. Wash Sq. is an American enclave from the old days where many older expats hang out and can be found. I've always had a pleasant time there. I used to stay at Bourbon Street's hotel quite often, so I know the area well enough. I use the massage parlor Huttasit Massage just beside Denny's Corner Bar and have been using them for many years now. I use a barber shop just across from Denny's as well.

I also find that the bar girls in the many small bars may be past their due date, but they also usually have the pleasant attitude that most of the bargirls in Thailand had years ago. You don't have to want to fuck them to have a pleasant and sometimes interesting and fun time in these bars. I personally love the fact that many of the bar girls would/will give you a shoulder massage as you chat with a friend or have a beer while waiting for whatever you are waiting for or just there to cool off in one of the AC bars while having a drink. These bars can be a pleasant afternoon interlude, and I have seen some nice looking younger women working the bars at times too (usually during the daytime). This isn't an agogo bar area, it's more like beer bars in AC-ed enclosed bars, which I for one enjoy at times. I suspect it also helps that I am an American and this is mostly an American area. I am in a comfort zone there. Its pleasantly familiar, yet still an oasis far away from the states and the PC bullshit. I've met many pleasant and interesting characters in the bars there.

Depressing? You want depressing go to most American dive bars of this sort, or likely the same type of NZ and Aussie bars. These Wash Sq bars are more 'home' bars for expats and their buddies I'd say. The majority of the traffic they get are regulars, expats, old-timers, mainly Yanks I've seen. Lots of semi-expats hang there that work the oilfields and in the war zones of the middle east. They work a few months, and then come to BKK for a few months. Wash Sq is their hang-out.

Some bars put on a good inexpensive feed too on certain evenings. It also is very close to a few other nice restaurants a short walk away, fairly close to a couple skytrain stops, there are a couple favorite Thai restaurants I go to nearby, and I like the small bar area just opposite the entrance to Wash Sq on soi 22, Queen's Park is it? There are also a few bars with pool tables that are a nice place to hang, play pool, and maybe have a burger. Flyers comes to mind, some like Larry's Dive which is nearby, there's a newer Isaan food restaurant on Soi 22 right next to Larry's Dive, a nice Korean BBQ place in a small sub-soi there too, and many small hotels as well to stay in for smaller baht in the area. One of my fav Thai restaurants is just past the entrance to Wash Sq on soi 22. Kling Khao, they have northern Thai food that I enjoy very much. There's a small street stall where you can drop off your clothes to be laundered which is cheap and good that I use too.

Personally I would be sad if Wash Sq was closed down and another hotel or office park built there. It is a good place with just about everything one needs there except agogo bars. It's safe, laid back, interesting at times, close to many places one might want to see and use, and I enjoy the area. It's not a major nightlife area, nor does it try to be really. It's just Wash Square, which is cool with me.

Lovely guy Taffy, I particularly used to enjoy seeing him drunk before lunchtime effing and blinding at the girls and letting all and sundry know how effing well stupid Thai's are. WS is the sort of place that people will instantly regret it's ending when it's finally gone and get all nostalgic about. Far more character than SC or NEP, just a pity about those loud mouth yanks tho :)

Taffy is a Scot, not a Yank!

he is reportedly a nice guy when he is sober but i have never been so early in the place to experience his sobriety myself. however i have met BG's talking much worse about their owner in other bars; Taffy seems to be well liked by the girls despite he fires a bunch from time to time and his turnover of girls has increased over the years.

Hi!

I think you have summed it up pretty well why many of us tourists don't feel comfortable in places like this, especially if we are non American. Why should we subject our selves to a couple of hours listening to abusive and condescending remarks about us Europeans when we can go elsewhere and have fun.

Al,

Now please, I have never heard people in the bars of Wash Square making disparaging and condescending remarks about Euros and Scandis. The French, well, yeah, some. :) Are you serious? There are the same amount of fools and idiots in the American enclave as there are in the areas the Japns hang out, the Euros hang out, the Scandis hang out, the Brits hang out, etc. You can't be serious, Al. The majority of Americans you'll meet in BKK are laid back and cool. We all have our fools, just as you do. I just ignore them and have a good time with the cool people one can meet on a night out on the town or an afternoon sucking downa few cold ones when in the mood.

Al,

Now please, I have never heard people in the bars of Wash Square making disparaging and condescending remarks about Euros and Scandis. The French, well, yeah, some. :) Are you serious? There are the same amount of fools and idiots in the American enclave as there are in the areas the Japns hang out, the Euros hang out, the Scandis hang out, the Brits hang out, etc. You can't be serious, Al. The majority of Americans you'll meet in BKK are laid back and cool. We all have our fools, just as you do. I just ignore them and have a good time with the cool people one can meet on a night out on the town or an afternoon sucking downa few cold ones when in the mood.

Don't worry Cent....it's just a paranoid thing....

...Some girls i know from Wild Country...or is that Cuntry ??? told me that "Scandies" have smaller dicks than Khun...nip 'n Tuck's....LOL

..No idea myself.....

But i've heard...on good authority... that W Sq....is a VERY dangerous place....for the unwary....

Cheers DC

Archived