Washington Square reprieve (again)

Taffy a Scot. :rolleyes::doah::shakehead

ok' date=' i admit, as non native english i have difficulties to differentiate what comes from the Island but is not english! so irish or welsh?

[/quote']

The Taffy in question is indeed a (self-professed) Scot. "Taffy" is not the common Welsh nickname, but a play on his family name.

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... The only colony Sweden has had in North America was new Sweden on the Delaware river. It was founded in 1638 and abandoned in 1655. According to the wiki they mostly lived in peace with the indians.

The Swedes were a large part of the western migration during the early to mid 1800's, the height of the Indian Wars. They could not have helped but particpated in wiping them out.

One interesting offtopic line:

"The effect of this exodus from Sweden reached its climax around 1910, when 1.4 million Swedish first and second generation immigrants were listed as living in the U.S. Compare this to Sweden's population at the time: 5.5 million. Roughly one fifth of all Swedes had their homes in America right before World War I ! "

Review of Swedish Emigration to America

TH

Taffy knows in particular how to entertain himself! :drunk:

That Taffy is a quiet lad. You could be in his bar for a few hours and never even know he was there. Just sitting in the corner' date=' sipping his beer and taking absolutely no notice of his staff or customers. Never shouting or swearing, never bollocking his staff, never playing pool and definitely never exposing his ugly arse. :angel:

[/quote

[b']he's kind of hard to miss due to his size. played pool with him once and never got to take a shot. he's the pool maestro, a genius of the table.[/b]

Lovely guy Taffy, I particularly used to enjoy seeing him drunk before lunchtime effing and blinding at the girls and letting all and sundry know how effing well stupid Thai's are.

:topic: warning. Lalaland stuff...might make you :sleeping: .

Don't know about Taffy, but there was a restaurant owner in LA like that. 'The H.M.S. Bounty' was a trendy place in the 60's and 70's. In the 80's the neighborhood went to shit (The famous Brown Derby restaurant next door was demolished and The Ambassador Hotel across the street was closed) as 'insurance row' and all their executives moved to another part of town.

The owner, Gordie, also closed down his notorious sports bar around the corner (The Bull 'n Bush) but he kept the Bounty alive just to have a place to hang out.

It was still a decent place to have lunch or a drink. I was apt to having liquid lunches in those days and I'd hang with the old school guys at the bar, sometimes return after work, but if my 10 martini lunch buddies were gone the place was full of pensioners from the apartment building the bar was located within (colorful old broads with feathery hats who thought they were Greta Garbo).

Gordie, the owner, could usually be found at a table in the middle of the front dining room, drunk by noon, and barking out complaints to the staff about them, the customers, politics, sports, and the general state of the restaurant.

Many a time did I witness ladies (even from my own table) request that the waiter or bartender remove the drunk with the offensive language causing the disruption only to be told, "Sorry, mam, but he's the owner."

I left the area for a few years and when I returned in '98 I decided to stop in for lunch. The place was lit only by candles and I discovered I'd walked in on Gordie's wake.

I went back though, and the place flourishes, thanks to a yuppie rejuvenation of the area and the fact that Gordie willed the place to Ramon the bartender (this is not a joke OH) who'd been there since day one.

There is a letter from Gordie's son about his father's legacy within this webpage in case anyone cares.

Taffy a Scot. :rolleyes::doah::shakehead

ok' date=' i admit, as non native english i have difficulties to differentiate what comes from the Island but is not english! so irish or welsh?

[/quote']

The Taffy in question is indeed a (self-professed) Scot. "Taffy" is not the common Welsh nickname, but a play on his family name.

Cheers,

SD

Daffy Duck?

I knew this already. I happen to come from the city where the Emigrant Institute mentioned in the article is located. I've visited it several times. Furthermore my fathers family was among the emigrants. He grew up in Canada and returned to Sweden as an adult.

I'm sure there were individual Swedes that participated in the slaughter of native Americans but they did not do it as representatives of Sweden.

I find it particularly pathetic when posters run out of arguments and resort to attacking my country. Especially when they do it based a total lack of knowledge of what they are posting about.

ALHOLK

Perhapes there is just something about your personality and your contempt for people you "don't consider human" that makes it difficult for you get along well with others, regardless of where?

Actually I get along very well with most people I have met and that includes Americans,

Archived