stuck at the house

passingthru69

Hi all, Well we have been at the family house for a week now. Wife is happy. :)

But I'm going nuts.. No english TV. No english speaking people near. Closest one I know is about 10 km. from here.

He came ove last fri. and we went and had coffee with a few other guys that live in the area.

I have internet here but slow.

Hope do you guys handle it?

I had a elc. heater installed for shower. Me and the squat toliet are not agreeing to well.

Sleeping on the floor with a thin pad is not helping my back. I'm a big guy.

we were to go to bkk Sunday night and stay untill Tues. I made plans to meet up with another american I know that lives here full time. Now the wife says we are'nt going :(

I feel like just jumping on the bus and go.

Not that far into bkk. about 1 hour with a car.

Help me :crazy:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi all, Well we have been at the family house for a week now. Wife is happy. :)

But I'm going nuts.. No english TV. No english speaking people near. Closest one I know is about 10 km. from here.

He came ove last fri. and we went and had coffee with a few other guys that live in the area.

I have internet here but slow.

Hope do you guys handle it?

I had a elc. heater installed for shower. Me and the squat toliet are not agreeing to well.

Sleeping on the floor with a thin pad is not helping my back. I'm a big guy.

we were to go to bkk Sunday night and stay untill Tues. I made plans to meet up with another american I know that lives here full time. Now the wife says we are'nt going :(

I feel like just jumping on the bus and go.

Not that far into bkk. about 1 hour with a car.

Help me :crazy:

Well you can watch English DVD,subscribe to cable TV,buy some western furniture ...convert the Loo to western style ..or enjoy the Thai culture around you...

Hope that helps :neener:

Well I'm near Bang Pong. just east of there about 10 km. Have to go there to get an english paper. Well the bangkok post. I have no car to get around in and me and the motor bikes just don't cut it. 125cc and 270 pounds just don't work well together.

We are right off one of the main highways going to bkk.

1h from bkk :hmmm: and a description like it's totally out in the village digs (lopburi,chonburi?) - well we better wait until the unhappy chap will disclose it :)

anyways why do you feel like you have to be trapped in wife's village & extended family?

I have a feeling like many you're over here for (extended) xmas visit, so you need to get the best out of it - surely if it's as 'hopeless' as it seems & your wife is totally not on your side one need to take matters into his own hands i.e. come to bkk - heaven in disguise :):cover:

Well I like the family. Even helped the father in law build a gate for the drive in front of the house. They live on a side road off the main highway. 3 houses here. All family. cousins.

It's not that I want to go out and get drunk see the go go shows. Just to find some american food and talk to english speaking people a bit.

I guess I feel how my wife feels when we are in the states with work. She calls the family often and she has found a few places where there are thai people. And I try to stop at those places when we have the time with our work.

1h from bkk :hmmm: and a description like it's totally out in the village digs (lopburi,chonburi?) - well we better wait until the unhappy chap will disclose it :)

he said he is in Bang Pong, that's a pretty remote area between Nakhon Pathom, Ratchaburi and Samut Songkhram; maybe the next well know spot is Damnoen Saduak Floating market! why not chatting up a few tourists?

right got it now - ban pong, ratchaburi as google maps spell it - directly west of bkk/nonthaburi - nice spot - probably passed real close on visiting damnuen suduak as you said ;)

I've done remote villages myself & after the initial excitement of how different life can be out there it does get tiring quick with all the sitting on hard floors drinking, smoking, eating som tam, nam prik, bugs la la la :cover:

Don't really know how to advice other than go to some more western style places - maybe there's a big c somewhere in the area or at least a PTT with a coffeshop? :)

cheers!

Archived