stuck at the house

passingthru69

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
we were to go to bkk Sunday night and stay untill Tues. I made plans to meet up with another american I know that lives here full time. Now the wife says we are'nt going

I feel like just jumping on the bus and go.

Maybe that's exactly what you should do. Tell your wife you're going crazy and need some relief. If she has urgent business in her home town, that doesn't have to include you. Pack your bags and tell your wife you're going. A few days in civilisation should get you back on your feet.

Well we hd a nice talk sunday evening.

Jumped in the car with her cousin and his wife.

Got to hotel that evening.

I went for a few hours alone and came back to room.

Then caught up with american I know Monday.

We sat around most of the day and just caught up on things.

Caught the bus back to the house today. Tues. I'm feeling better and the wife understands.

Going back again next week for a few days.

Thanks guys for letting me vent here

While in the city I hope you bought a few new DVDs to watch and some familiar foods to enjoy once in a while until the next time down. And, if you're a reader, you should grab a few good books to while away the boring hours. I find if I prepare myself to stay in the moo bahn by stocking up on things that make life more pleasant and the less exciting village stay less, well, boring. I also fish and have my gear there, I have a decent bike I can ride around when bored, a small camera to take pics with, a ping pong table to challenge the kids at, etc. You have to be a bit of a Boy Scout, always go prepared. :)

Yes, this has been a learning trip for me. When we left bkk. we stopped at foodland got some foods I like.

I like to go fishing, but don't think the father in law would like me fishing his fish ponds. lol

I did see a big lake near the house Sunday night when we went to dinner. Not sure if they allow fishing there or not. Did'nt see any one fishing at the time.

As time goes by, I will be stocking up on more things to keep me busy.

Caught a damm cold the last couple of days, so I slept much of yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I am not too far away from Banpong and have spent a fair bit of time in the country. I couldn't get on with too many Thai fittings so we have a mostly european style house with loo and shower etc. No cable but stock up on lots of DVDs at pantip plaza. Also built my own fishing pond and stocking it with edible sport fish. Pool table too. Things are so cheap that building a house is a cheap option (under 200k baht) as is putting in a decent bathroom and easy chairs etc. in an existing house. I go fishing a lot too. There are some high class places to eat in Ban pong for a good night out and if I want a change I go down to Cha am or Hua Hin. Get the use of a car and you're immediately free. Lots of places to fish locally. As your father in law has ponds make an arrangement to put some pla chon and pla nin and pla duk in. When you are away he can sell them and it will give you something to do when you are there.

I love Banpong and am never bored there. Big C is a bonus now. My suggestions...a car and a pond and a pool table. If you are going to be going there a lot make sure the family understand you dont want to rough it.

Dont be seduced by the siren voices who tell you that experiencing true thai culture is the thing, its poor culture. There are more Mercedes in thailand than any other country outside germany. Its a rich country. The rich thais in their high rises would no more sleep on the floor than eat broken rice. Why should I? Any improvement you make to your families lives will be most appreciated.

Good luck

Archived