Truth or fiction? Doesn't really matter.

lingus

Some anonymous venting.

So I have a friend who has fallen for a young good Thai girl. And I now have second hand information that she isn't so good and living with a Thai boyfriend.

An old story, and Friend should know better him being an old bkk hand and heard it all so I think she is either very lucky, smart or both.

Or perhaps the first link in the chain is lying or watches too many Thai soaps? I don't know, and even if I staked out her home, I wouldn't be able to tell truth from the fiction unless she likes kissing the boyfriend in public.

Not that I can tell him of course. There is only one channel for this information to get him so GTG would know who do blame. If it is not true, the accusation could hurt a blossoming and possibly long term relationship as well as getting the informants into trouble (one of who would be blameless and a good friend). If it is true, it could get dangerous as mangda don't take kindly to the money train disappearing. Or maybe he doesn't care - he has never been the jealous type. Or maybe Thai boyfriend doesn't know and is being kept in reserve in case Friend flakes out.

I think I was only told to make it my problem. Gee, thanks :shakehead

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:yeahthat: for the most part.

This is always tough. There is no right answer. Only you know the depth of your friendship and how your friend may respond. But I believe that even if the friend is pissed off for hearing it from you, a good friendship will bounce back after some healing time.

As Badger said, I would say nothing until I was sure, because Thai girls (even friends) are known to try to sabotage relationships for the flimsiest of reasons.

Cheers,

SD

Some anonymous venting.

So I have a friend who has fallen for a young good Thai girl. And I now have second hand information that she isn't so good and living with a Thai boyfriend.

An old story, and Friend should know better him being an old bkk hand and heard it all so I think she is either very lucky, smart or both.

Or perhaps the first link in the chain is lying or watches too many Thai soaps? I don't know, and even if I staked out her home, I wouldn't be able to tell truth from the fiction unless she likes kissing the boyfriend in public.

Not that I can tell him of course. There is only one channel for this information to get him so GTG would know who do blame. If it is not true, the accusation could hurt a blossoming and possibly long term relationship as well as getting the informants into trouble (one of who would be blameless and a good friend). If it is true, it could get dangerous as mangda don't take kindly to the money train disappearing. Or maybe he doesn't care - he has never been the jealous type. Or maybe Thai boyfriend doesn't know and is being kept in reserve in case Friend flakes out.

Old hands are sometimes the worst for this. Some guys get a false sense of security, and think they can't get played, been there done that.

I knew a guy, casually, didn't really like him, he never seemed to really know much about our world in BKK, yet thought himself well versed. He recently "moved' to BKK, and the second he got off the plane, was the "ex-pat expert" because "...I live here and..."

The other phenomenon I see is guys who just believe anything and everything their wives/GFs tell them, and accept it blindly as "Thai culture." I call this "playing the culture card." Where in the wife says "...this my culture, you no understand..." and manipulates the fool husband as needed. Of course, this does NOT work both ways.

I'd say tell the guy what you suspect, and why, and let the shit settle where it may. Failure to do so is actually aiding and abetting the girl in her game.

Side note, know a guy who is married, lives in BKK, and has his 2 whore sister in laws living with him. Whore cousins drift in and out, and all bring their customers over to play the home game of "...see, you are the only one, my farang brother in law not lie to you..." he goes along, as his wife tells him to. He accepts it as "part of the culture..." bizzarre...

If it is a good friend you could point out the clues without being obvious that is what you are doing. "Where does your new girlfriend live?", "Is it a nice place?" "Oh, she never invites you to her place? Why is that?" Act like you assume there must be a reasonable explanation.

If you come right out with your speculations about his girlfriend he won't appreciate your interference. You are likely to lose the friendship even if you are right about her. You need to let him figure it out on his own if it is true. You can try to help him see the warning signs but do it in a subtle way.

I knew a guy, casually, didn't really like him, he never seemed to really know much about our world in BKK, yet thought himself well versed. He recently "moved' to BKK, and the second he got off the plane, was the "ex-pat expert" because "...I live here and..."

I think I know that guy.

Actually, I've met a few, but one asshole in particular comes to mind. He might read the board, but I don't give a fuck...

Used to be on a news radio station here in LA, moved to Thailand and within a few months became an insta-expert on all things Thai (without speaking a word of the language).

We had a mutual bar owner friend from LA in town, so I invited them to meet up with a half dozen of my friends at Check Bin 99. Our friend was 70 (going on 18), happier than a pig in shit to be in Bangers and buying rounds for us all.

Meanwhile, his asshole friend managed to personally insult each of my friends, even mimicking a Scot's accent and making stupid jokes about kilts to a guy who could crush his skull with one hand. I swear the only reason the guy survived the night was that he was supposedly my friend.

He also took it upon himself to be caretaker for our old friend, handling his baht when it was time to pay up. Upon seeing the bill, he caused a scene when he screamed at the bartender, "We came here to buy a few drinks, NOT THE WHOLE FUCKING BAR!"

When I bumped into friends in the next few days, they all said pretty much the same thing: "Your pal from LA is a really nice guy, but who the hell was that other prick?"

Some anonymous venting.

As OH said, tell all. Tell your friend everything you know/suspect. Let the dust settle. Ultimately it's your friends decision and you never know, he might know something already...

Or if you fancy some fun, confront her. Tell her to fess up or the games up. I'd do this one first. But then I despise lying 2-faced folks and enjoy watching them squirm.

Upto you! But whatever you decide, do it quickly, then you are free of obligation.

Archived