Where can I escape Xmas ?

gobbledonk

yes xmas & new years are present in LOS & particularly Bangkok as the commercial side of it, but I don't feel any stress from it as few Thais celebrate the endless string of xmas 'lunches', parties whatever during the december craze & new years eve is nothing major either although of course I will not deny it's a major event causing traffic & cell towers to come to grind to total halt while way too many are killed in country side dark roads on 31dec :(

on here xmas & new year gets a fair mention due to closing hours, alcohol serving & barfine level changes wildly from year to year, but really this is more to do with the 'craze' of the gogos farang owners than just another night at typical thai pubs :hmmm:

for me I'll be singing kareoke (as I understand I cant avoid it) & try to avoid the card games with the extended thai family on 31dec - wish me luck :cover:

however gobble - try Japan next time - sounds just great & peaceful over there :)

try the suburbs if its killing you (or your gf) - life as any month except perhaps the additional beer gardens that have popped up last week or 2 a few places - doesn't really bother me :beer:

do you say it's worse than in the west here?

at least they don't start in mid November like over there & since it's always crowded in BKK it's hard to feel any additional (if any) stress in December ain't it? :banghead:

Thank you all - feel much better now that they have removed the giant Xmas tree from Brisbane Square, but some of the moron coffee shop and arcade owners in the Mall still have Bing Crosby and other old standbys droning on about how great it is to be sitting in front of the fire on Xmase Eve - seriously, it must have been 40 degrees C in Brisbane yesterday !

Japan is definitely looking like my dream destination - just have to convince Ms Crazypants, as she has a very low opinion of Japanese men, having worked in a bar on Soi 33 some years back. I've only seen Farang in said bar, but I don't like to dig too deeply when we get to 'Japan man no good !' territory ....

Archived