Bar Closure - New Year

Gadfly

Competent Thai authorities

Sounds amusing given the things that are going on right now.

I didn't know the "demolishing" is beginning so early in 2009 I was aware of changes being made at the end of 2009 and of discussions to relocate the nightlife entertainment from both cities into an area between BKK and Pattaya (where the truck stop is)

These muppet show decision during a world wide regression a struggling tourist industry and creeping thai industry and one of the most difficult year ahead of us... u really gotta ask yourself... WTF THEY R HAVING FOR BREAKFAST?

These people don't make any sense and i am trying to avoid words like self destruction, childish and stupid here

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A bar owner recently told me that he had been told by a reliable source that when the day comes that all Thais dread the most, all bars and other forms of public entertainment will be closed for at least 90 days.

Chew on that.

I'm pretty sure I know what day you speak of, that will be a very sad time indeed in Thailand...

With my luck, that day will happen exactly 24hours before I get on the plane! :(

-=/NN

Although the hotels said they could not serve alcohol on 2 - 4 January, it appears they were mistaken (or the officials that spoke to them were mistaken).

I spoke to someone who knows someone on the election commission (yes, its attentuated), and the 2-4 January closing pertain to the pre-election for the MPs that were disqualfied, and none of those MPs are from Bangkok. Unless the local officials here in Bangkok are interpreting the election laws creatively, Bangkok should be fine for the upcoming weekend.

Incidentally, all of this piqued my curiosity enough to actually look at the relevant laws (the Local Council Members or Local Administrators Election Act, B.E. 2545, and theOrganic Act on Election of Members of Parliament and Senators, B.E.2550), and those laws do not contain any exceptions for five star hotels. No surprise there. Nor that the law is applied selectively.

Archived