Bar Closure - New Year

Gadfly

I am also hearing some will be closed while others will be open, but not officially any alcohol.

The law doesn't make any sense to me even when applied to voters. What is the purpose of the law?

To prevent politicians from using alcohol to bribe voters? It is more likely to have exactly the opposite effect. Anyone here who intends to use alcohol to bribe voters will simply buy liquour the day before the ban goes into effect. More realistically, anyone bribing voters will be connected enough that the ban want affect them at all.

To ensure that voters are sober in the polling place? Anyone who wants to drink will simply have bought their liquor before the ban goes into effect.

In actual practice, the guards in my condo are prediticably drunk everytime the sale of booze is prohibited in Bangkok. The prohibition makes booze more attractive. for tourists, who cannot vote in any event and are are likely not to know about the ban until it happens, it's a major annoyance.

OK, now back off the soap box, information on specific bars would be appreciated. I have friends in from the US, and although I am entertaining guy, they didn't fly half-way around the planet to side in my living room with me watching CNN tonight.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both places I have mentioned are after hour clubs, not Gogo bars. Rumors are that Patpong will open as usual. Soi Cowboy open but not selling booze.

Does anybody knows what about the other after hour places such as Boss, Lucky, Spicy, Oscar....

Last election 1 or 2 have been open, but it has been try error and if someone knows would help.

Thanks!

Both places I have mentioned are after hour clubs, not Gogo bars. Rumors are that Patpong will open as usual. Soi Cowboy open but not selling booze.

Does anybody knows what about the other after hour places such as Boss, Lucky, Spicy, Oscar....

Last election 1 or 2 have been open, but it has been try error and if someone knows would help.

Thanks!

Patpong is immune from all "no liquor" days: election, royal birthdays, you name it. Haven't been there this evening but I guarantee you the liquor is flowing.

preahko

Interesting. On Soi Cowboy, most, but not, all bars were open. One upscale J oriented bar was serving beer in a glass, but without a wrapper.

By about 10 pm, it was practically impossible to find a seat in that bar while it was practically impossible to find a customer in bars that were not serving.

An hour or so later, the other bars had customers and an hour so after that (meaning, midnight onwards) it was virtually impossible to find a decent looking girl in the bar that had served beer throughout the night.

Archived